108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Sizing A Sever

SOLVED
Go to solution
scott_417
Frequent Advisor

Sizing A Sever

My situation is like this: I'll need a web/application server (such as for installing the Oracle Application 10g)to host multiple (web) applications , which will be accessed by the public. The simultaneous users could be from 100 - 500 range, expected to be moderate (but really do not know the exact).

I also need a database server (such as for installing the Oracle Database 10g standard), to support the web applications.

I prefer HP servers. It looks like the DL 360 and DL 380 will fits the scene. Would you please share you opion and comments on this case:

1) Which DL server would be better?

2) For the Recommended server, what should be the RAM, Number of Hard Disk space and its size?

3) What should be the general parsing requirements: such as C: for OS, D: for DBMS
E: for database files, and F: for backup, etc and what could be the ballpark size for ech

4) Backup: What should be the common tape backup? Tape? If so, better be internal or external?

Thanks to help.
3 REPLIES 3
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Scott:

1. The DL360 and DL380 fit nicely into your situation. Both are decently powerful machines, with some minor differences.

DL360 would be a good choice for a Web Server while the DL380 would be better for the Database Server.

Both have Dual HT Processors, so if your running an OS that supports HT, you can benefit from the potential performance gain you get from the processor virtualization.

From the sounds of it, you will be using Windows. I suggest Windows Server 2003. Web Edition for the Web Server (if you plan on having separate servers), or Standard if you plan on using a different web package like apache. For the DB server, I suggest, at the very minimum, Standard Server, but would rather see Enterprise so you can up the memory if needed past 4GB.

If you are planning on having 1 server to do both, definitely go with a 380, or perhaps even a 580 so you can scale up later on if needed. Also go with Enterprise since you would need more memory to host all that you want to do.

2. Memory is dependant upon your application's needs. Generally speaking, more memory is better. In some cases, less memory is better as so proved by a few old clients that I had a few years ago.

I would say that at the very minimum, you should have 4GB in a single Server solution. In a dual server solution, I would go with at least 2GB for the Web Server (more if you can) and 2 to 4GB in the DB server.

As for disks, again... depends on the applications needs. Usually, Web Sites do not need a lot of space where as databases needs a decent about, The 360 is not well suited for being a Database server since it only has 2 hard drive slots. The Dl380 has 6 slots. Better suited for high disk capacity needs. The Dl580 only has 4 slots, but has greater potential horsepower than the 380.

Usually, it is best to separate your OS from your Data. The 380 is well suited for that.

3. On new installations, C: is generally the default OS/System partition drive. This should be a separate Logical drive and, maybe even a separate array from all the other disks. Data disks could be any drive letter.

In a DL380, my suggestion is (to max out space)...

6 300GB SCSI drives. 2 for Array A holding the OS and perhaps Swap/page file and perhaps DB logs and 4 for your Database data. Obviously, the size of the drives is dependant upon your needs. Feel free to mix and match as well. Tell us what your needs are and we can get more specific.

4. There are many backup options. For the simplest configuration, I would suggest Veritas Backup Exec with a single dat or dlt/sdlt or even lto drive. You can go a bit more beefy and get an autoloader as well, to automate the weekly and monthly rotation.

The final configuration comes down to your needs... well... your applications' needs. Can you offer any more info?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Scott,

For a box to run AS 10g, I'd probably go for the DL360. You can probably get enough diskspace in it to cope.

To run a Oracle DB 10g, I'd more than likely go for a DL380, due to the extra disk capacity that you'll get. How much you'll need is obviously going to be down to the data demands of your applications.

From your other posts however it makes it sound like you're hoping to be able to run all of the Oracle Application Server products on one box.... Good luck !

Whilst it is possible to do this, you'll probably find yourself rapidly running out of memory. Assuming that you're still looking at Windows then you're going to be limited to 4GB RAM unless you go for the Enterprise Edition. This won't go very far when running any of Oracle's 10g products...
scott_417
Frequent Advisor

If, as said, the windows OS (Standard) has the limitation to map the RAM (to 4GB). Then How about the Linux, can it map more than 4 GB of RAM? --Please do share your opinion, thanks.

Another thing I like to mention about the memory is as follows:

The factor to determine the upper limit of the memory to map is the nature of CPU, not the OS. In the case of the 32 bit CPU, the maximum memory it can map is about 4 GB. How do I figure this out? --Well, 2 raises to the power of 32 will gives it, regardless of the OS. --Of course, this is my understanding and it may not be correct. Please do share you comments.

Many thanks.

Scott