ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752598 Members
5481 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Slow 16-bit app response on DL380 G3

John Kieffer

Slow 16-bit app response on DL380 G3

Command.com and other DOS apps have very slow response(keyboard to visual display) times when running WIN2K Server on DL380 G3 2.4GHz. Same config on DL360 and other PCs works fine. Need to run the apps on terminal server. Loaded bare-bones WIN2K(no TS) and still see very slow response. All other apps work fine. Can test by launching command.com, not cmd.exe. Any ideas? I've already installed all of the HP/Compaq updated drivers and tested on 2 different DL380 G3s - same result.
8 REPLIES 8
Bailey Tsang

Hi John,

Quick question: What version of Win2K ? Is it Advanced Server or Standard Edition ? Are you using Disk Cloning Software?

Bailey
Danger is my middlename
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Microsoft released something about this a while back regarding processor speeds over 2.0GHhz and DOS apps or certain programs running slowly on Hyperthreaded processors. Here is the link:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;327809
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
jan_31
Occasional Advisor

Having the same problem on ml350 single XEON 2.2Ghz asked microsoft for hotfix on q320694 let you know if it works
Are you part of the solution or are you part of the problem
Matthew Pepper

I am having the same problem with a pair of DL380G3's. Did the fix from microsoft work.

If not any idea's.
Patrick Rouse
Frequent Advisor

Any idea if this happens on the RTM Windows Server 2003? I have my Terminal Server running on a ML370G1 because my ML530G2 2.4GHz x 2 had this problem on Win2K & Windows Server 2003 RC1.
jan_31
Occasional Advisor

the microsoft hotfix did solve the problem
Are you part of the solution or are you part of the problem
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Patrick,

I know this is an issue with XP, so it "may" be an issue with 2003 also, but the KB article doesn't have this OS listed.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Patrick Rouse
Frequent Advisor

Well I just installed Windows Server 2003 on a HP/Compaq 2.6GHz Desktop Computer w/ Hyperthreading and this problem no longer exists, so MS must have put this fix in 2003 before it shipped.