cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Backup

Neil P
Occasional Visitor

Slow Backup

I'm currently running Legato Networker as my backup software and exabyte 430M with 2 Mammoth-2 drives as my tape library. The problem that I'm currently having slow backup. For example to backup my MS Exchange server (54GB) it takes about closed to 14 hours to back this server up. I have already contacted Legato on this issue and they had me verified my config. Legato is saying that my configuration is fine. I'm at a lost. please help.
3 REPLIES
Steve Kadish
Trusted Contributor

Re: Slow Backup

Hi Neil,

Try copying a large directory from your Exchange server to your backup server and calculate the transfer rate. If it is very slow, you should start looking at your network - check your switches for things like collisions and duplex mismatches.

- Steve
Joan Wheeler
Occasional Visitor

You didn't mention if the tape drive was locally attached to the server you are backing up, or if you are backing up a server over the network.

If it is over the network, check the configuration of your Network card against the configuration of the Network port. We had a similar problem. Instead of taking the default of Auto/Auto, we set both the NIC card and network port to 100/full duplex (as this was the type of NIC card we had). Sometimes the auto negotiation has a problem and causes timeouts when it re-negotiates.

Chanler Childs
Frequent Advisor

We've also seen slow backups if your antivirus is scanning outbound files. You may to want to only enable inbound scanning.