1753399 Members
6994 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Slow Memory

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Slow Memory

I have a PL1500 with a FlexSMP Dual 133/166 board installed. I have been having a hard time locating memory that meets the specs for this machine. I had a 5/75 Board in there before, but the memory from that board is reported as being "slow" in the FlexSMP board.

Without being able to quote the exact message, it says something to the affect of "...slow memory may cause data loss...". The memory i have runs, and I have not had any data corruption issues, but the messages forces me to interact with the boot process by pressing F1, or F2 or F10. This messes up my remote booting and scheduled reboots.

What are the exact specs of the memory that should be used in this board? I though I had 72Pin Gold Contact 60ns Parity Memory, but it doesnt like it. I have all the latest ROMs for the system and controllers installed.

Thanks, Todd Hayward MCSE, ASE
3 REPLIES 3
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

No - you're right - 60ns, parity, gold contact memory... If it's erroring out, double-check the memory SIMMs. Make sure each chip on the board has a "-6" or "-60" (60ns). If just some of them are 60ns and some are 70 - it's all going to be 70ns.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Ok, so is that FPM ECC (parity) or TrueParity ?

Todd Hayward MCSE, ASE
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I installed chips out of a deskpro XL 5100 and they were 60NS chips but still get the message at boot. Would this happen because they are not ECC? I did order a 32meg upgrade from Ambry.com for $125.00 so hopfully when I install that memory the boot error will go away. The system does run though and I have not had any errors with the XL memory.