ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753979 Members
4194 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Slow backups on ML350(G3)

Derrick Cribbs

Slow backups on ML350(G3)

I have a brand new ML350(G3) with a Benchmark DLT7 library connected to one of the internal Wide Ultra3 SCSI bus (160MB/min?). It is the only device on the bus. I am backing up ~92GB of data from a locally attached 700GB RAID5 set (6-146GB 10kRPM ULTRA320 drives) on a SmartArray 6402 (192MB) controller. I am using CA's BrightStor ARCserve Backup v11. ML350 is running Win2K Svr SP3.

Has anyone else had this problem? I am having slow backups. This new server is taking 15hrs 53min to backup ~92GB. Average throughput is 98MB/Min per ARCserve's end of job statistics. This same backup only took 8hrs 45min (backing up 85GB) on my 5year old HP NetServer LH3r, using the same Benchmark DLT7 library. ARCserve reported throughput at 164MB/min on that old server. In the process of troubleshooting, I updated firmware on DLT7 to D118 for loader and 391B for the tape drive. These are supposed to be current.

This is frustrating because I configured this server for speed. The tape library and RAIDsets are all on indvidual channels. The server has the fastest frontside bus, 533mhz, dual 3.06Ghz Xeon CPU's, 2.25GB RAM. I'm definitely not expecting ANYTHING to run slower on this server. I've been watching the ARCserve backup job tonight and it started out cranking about 240-250MB/min. It's been running for almost an hour and has slowed down to ~198MB/min. It dipped down to ~180MB/min briefly.

I did speak with CA's tech support this afternoon. They suggested updating the onboard controller's W2K driver to 6.1.645.100 which I have just done this evening. I'm not very optimistic because the only listed change in the driver was the addition of Digital Signatures. Tonights backup is the first run with the new driver. It does appear to be running faster, but I have not seen how fast initial throughput was before and I'm concerned that it will continue to slow down as the backup progresses through the night.

What else can I check out? I am sorry for the short book I've written, but I'm open to suggestions.
4 REPLIES 4
Derrick Cribbs

Well, I stand corrected. The Win2K SCSI driver seems to have corrected the problem! Backup time was cut in half! The onboard controller must have been running at half bandwidth. Statistics below:

Old HP NetServer LH3r
~85GB data 8hr42min 164.41MB/min
NEW HP Proliant ML350 G3 *Before Win2K SCSI driver update
~94GB data 15hr53min 98.0MB/min
NEW HP Proliant ML350 G3 *After 6.1.645.100 driver update
~94GB data 7hr51min ~207.2MB/min

I really didn't think this would work, but it did. Has anyone else experienced anything like this on the new Proliants?

Derrick Cribbs
Daren Tan

Hi Derrick,

I'm having the same problem, except that I'm using Arcserve IT 6.1 and the ML350 is running on Windows NT(SP6a). Any ideas on what I should check?
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi

Try this link

hp.com/support/tapetools

download l&TT
help you to check for drive and system profamce and give your deivce analysis. As this utility is best for all storage from hp/compa

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Derrick Cribbs

Hi Daren,

CA Tech Support recommended that I update the drivers, which like I said, I was wrong for doubting. In a nutshell, I updated the SCSI adapter drivers to the latest Win2K versions available for the ML350(G3) from HP's Proliant website.

Try going to the HP website and updating the SCSI array drivers for your controller first. Make sure you get the drivers for the right server model, OS and array type. I needed the driver for the internal Wide Ultra3 SCSI bus, but you may need a different one if your tape drive is on another adapter.

That brings up another question. The internal SCSI adapter on my ML350(G3) was configured for internal SCSI devices. What controller is your tape library connected to? I had to buy a Wide SCSI ribbon cable and female Wide SCSI (HD68)bulkhead kit to convert the internal SCSI adapter for use with an external tape device. If you're running your DLT on the same array channel as your RAID sets, you will probably have performance problems because all of your devices are fighting for bandwidth on the same bus. I got my cable and female Wide SCSI bulkhead connector kit from a local computer cabling supplier. I'm sure HP sells a conversion kit for the ML350(G3), but I don't know a part number. There are two blank cutouts on the back of the chassis for connecting external SCSI devices. Check with HP sales.

I hope this helps,

Derrick