New Discussion юеВ

Slow file copy speed in one direction on DL380 G5

SOLVED
Go to solution
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Slow file copy speed in one direction on DL380 G5

Hi,

We have about 15 DL380 G5 servers all acting in the same way. Copying files from it is very slow. However, if I am on the server and copy files to some other device, it runs at normal (fast) speed. In other words, a copy pull is slow, a copy push is fast. So if I am logged in to my Windows XP PC and copy files from one of the servers to my local drive it is slow. If I RDP to the server and copy those same files (from the server) to my PC, it is very quick.

Our environment:
DL380 G5 - all firmware and HP drivers at latest version.
Windows 2003 R2 SP2 (standard and enterprise)
NICs are configured for 1000 GB/s Full duplex hardcoded on both the server and the switches
Switches are Cisco 6509 chassis with WS-X6748-GE-TX blades (I am not a networking guy - this is the info they provided me).

We have older DL380 G4 servers running at GB Ethernet on the same switches with no problems.

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
Nelson
24 REPLIES 24
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Re: Slow file copy speed in one direction on DL380 G5

Hello Nelson,

1) Run Firmware CD from
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/27783.html

2) Is there any NIC team ?
if so, dissolve NIC, update individual NIC firmware, Update NIC Drivers, PAIR NIC using Latest NIC Utility.

3) Apply Latest PSP:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/69_6213.html#0

4) In your PC, go to Device manager, select the network Card & goto Properties; then Advance TAB; Set "Speed & Duplex" to be AUTO;;; If its already AUTO, Force it to 100MBps & check for any difference.

Regards,
James.
James Kennedy_5
Regular Advisor

Generally for 1000 MB you should be doing Auto on the Gigabit switch and NICs (as apposed to forcing 100/FULL on the lower speed NICs) .. but forcing should be ok too.

Anyways, I've been having lots of Network issues with G5 servers and PSP 7.90. Try disableing TOE on the team and both NICs. See if that helps.

Also, since you're running SP2, you may want to install this patch from microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936594
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the responses.

I am already at the latest firmware.
I am already at Support Pack 7.9
The problem also exists with Support pack 7.8
I already have the correct speed and duplex configure on my pc, my server and all ports involved. But it is just not my PC anyways - it is any device I try to copy files from the problematic server including other (good)servers.

I will try AUTO/AUTO and see if that helps
I will investigate the MS article.

Thanks for the tips.
Nelson
Hense, Klaus
Valued Contributor

Hallo, try connect your server and your PC or other server with a cross Link cabel and then test the performance!
test with break the Teaming.
Good luck..
klhe
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

I had our Network guy switch the port to 100 FULL and I hardcoded the NIC to 100 FULL and now it works fine. So it is something with running those NICs on the DL380 G5 at GB that breaks something.

Nelson
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor
Solution

NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Disabling TCPChimney fixed the problem...thanks!

Netsh int ip set chimney DISABLED

But what does that break, or should I say, what does it limit by disabling it. Am I loosing some other features by fixing another?

Thanks
Nelson
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

>>But what does that break, or should I say, what does it limit by disabling it. Am I loosing some other features by fixing another?

TCP Chimney offloads networking tasks from CPU, leaving more power for applications - at least in theory :-)

AFAIK, it is relatively new feature, exists only on newest NIC's and has many problems (at least in Microsoft implementation)

Also, according this HP article - TCP Chimney will not work if HP virus throttle feature installed (part of PSP):
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=398225&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=398225&objectID=c00810667
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Thanks again!

Nelson