108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Slow file copy speed in one direction on DL380 G5

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tom E Reynolds
Advisor

I also had to disable TCPChimney to fix my upload problems through a VPN to my new HP DL380G5 servers with the onboard HP NC373i NIC.

Netsh int ip set chimney DISABLED

in the Biz forum see:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do;HP-FORUMS-S-WPA-IDX=Hv8JY1vnT51pNhfT6YS10pHP1QTy02pnJHJpfpgTvJ4V0B9znlJM!-1885766594!-124372549?threadId=1153566&admit=109447626+1197653161555+28353475

PinnacleCS
Occasional Advisor

We had this same issue. We found the best way to do this is to go into the HP Network Config utility, properties of the NIC or team, settings tab and disable TCP Offload. This fixed all of our slowness issues.
Jimbo!
Occasional Advisor

For the benefit of the search, this can be caused by auto-negotiate at one end and fixed full duplex at the other.

What happens is that since one end is fixed, auto-negotiate fails and the port or NIC immediately drops to auto-sense. Again, since the other end is fixed, this succeeds so one end will be 100/full (or 1000/full) and the other 100/half (or 1000/half).

Say the switch is 100/full and the server 100/half. Client is correctly configured and 100/full and both ends.

Files are transferred with a sliding window, allowing multiple data packets to be acknowledge with a single ACK.

Consider copying to the server:

Client sends a load of packets, server starts discarding them once it's window is full and awaits a gap for transmission. The client now stops because of lack of ACKs, the server can then send the ACK (with some packets lost), and the process can continue. The overall throughput seems reasonable.

Consider copying a file from the server:

Server sends a load of packets, the very first ACK, soon after transmission starts, from the client is seen as a collision and the server stops sending. Client assumes packet is lost and re-sends ACK after maybe one second delay. Process repeats, resulting in only a few packets each second, hence very slow throughput.

Hope that helps!
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Well, the problem is back on a new DL380 G5 server I just built. Using the this command does not fix the problem anymore:

Netsh int ip set chimney DISABLED

I tried setting the server to AUTO and the switch port to AUTO, and I also tried setting the server to 1GB FULL and the switch port to 1GB FULL. I get the same results.

Pulling files to the server is fine. Pushing files to another host (from that server) is slow. We discovered the problem because backups (NetBackup) were super slow. And backups are a push - files going from the server to the backup host, which results in the slow copy. But I can simulate the problem by just using a simply file copy (so NetBackup is not the problem).

Arrrg!
Any other suggestions?
Thanks
Nelson
Tech-To-Tech

Here's what I've done so far as a temp soultion until HP releas a newer driver for the NIC.
1) On the current NIC card disabled the following:
- Large Send and Checksum Offload
- RSS
2) Registry:
** Disable RSS:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\EnableRSS and setting it to 0
** DisabledTaskOffload: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\DisableTaskOffload and set it to 1

the driver I have is version 3.4.10.0 dated 5/25/07 so I didn't need to update that. Also, you don't want to disable the TCP Chimney so once HP release a new driver then you can take advantage of the new features offered by SP2. Plus, Windows Update might reset those registry keys.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

Tech-To-Tech I want to ask something when you say disable:
- Large Send and Checksum Offload
- RSS

you did that in the NIC Cards

and also did these changes in register

** Disable RSS:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\......

** DisabledTaskOffload: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet....

I mean you did both changes or you disabled both using register

sorry for my silly question but this topic is been a long issue SP2 - RSS- TOE - chimney - ..

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Tech-To-Tech

Yes I disabled them on both places and I'm glad you asked since I forgot to say that you have to reboot your server(s) after you make these changes on the registry
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

thanks a lot for clarify that

that is because I've seen that people say I disable RSS but that was only on the NIC cards settings not using register as well as other NIC properties only in NIC cards but not in registry

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the tips.

I made the changes you suggested verbatum and verified my NIC driver is the same as your; it is.

However, I still get the same problem.

The one difference between this server and the others that I fixed by disabling the chimney stuff is that this server is behind a Firewall. Is there anything special I need to have my FW admins set on thier end to make this work?

As a test, I tried the copy process between others servers also behind the FW. I actually have 4 servers, as part of an overall project, that are behind the same FW and configured exactly. I see the same problem from each when going to a device outside the FW. But between them, the copy is fine. So I guess I just answered my own question...it has to be the FW. But what?

Any suggestions?
Nelson
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

I think I am making progess :)

I undid all the settings you suggested (so the server looks the same as day one with the normal settings). File copies between devices behind the firewall still work fine. So I think this has nothing to do with TOE and the Chimney stuff like the other servers had. It just happens to have the same symptoms.

That being said, I think I will take this up with my FW guys and see what's up.

Unless you guys have any more suggestions...
Thanks for all the help.
Nelson