cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow logins when 20 or more users login simultaneously

CA1023918
Occasional Visitor

Slow logins when 20 or more users login simultaneously

We have a server with following hardware & Software.
Proliant DL 380 G3 - Dual processor
RAID 1- for system
RAID 5- for Apps
Windows 2000 server SP3
Citrix Metaframe XP 1.0 FR3/SP3

When upto 10 users login or loggoff(citrix sessions) the server simultaneously no performance issue. But when 20 or more users login (citrix sessions)simultaneously few users login successfully within 1-2 minutes, few users take 3-5 minutes, and for rest it takes long time and end up restarting the client workstaion and login again. The same thing happens when logging off, it takes long time to logoff.

The server acts as citrix server hosting Microsoft Office XP, publisher etc. for students. All students enter the lab at the same time and start login to the server. Once they are logged in there is no performance issue.

I have noticed that during login, the processor utilization is varying between 50 to 97 % some times touching 100%. When turned on "Show Kernel Times" in Task manager, it is noticed that 80-90 % of processor utilization was for kernel. I found a forum reply in citrix forum to change the processor driver from ACPI to MPS. When I checked on DL 380 specs, it shows that it is ACPI complaint. So should I change the processor driver from ACPI to MPS? Will it create any problem? Will there be any performance improvement if I change it?
Please help me.
TIA