1751714 Members
5132 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Slow network on HP DL380G5 and 3Com switch

BRUCE LEWIS

Slow network on HP DL380G5 and 3Com switch

Hi,

I have 5 x HP DL380G5 servers and 3Com 4200G 12-port switch.

The switch has only had its IP info configured (checked as okay), but no Vlans or anything like that.

The five servers transfer data fine via the switch. However, four of them (recently new) are very slow to transfer data to my Windows XP PCs. e.g. 58MB takes ten minutes. Only one server transfers at a good speed, and we have had this one for most of this year; it is older than the other four.

All servers use the same NIC, NC373i Multifunction Gigabit Server Adapter. According to the HP Management Network Config Utility, they all talk on a physical layer of 1000 BASE-X, except for the fast one which is 10/100/1000 BASE-T. I don't know if this is the cause or not.

Strangely, the servers will have speedy data when connecting to some other servers via the switch, but not others.

I never had this issue before we had the switch. The switch is the only common factor here.

Most servers are very slow through it, I have installed the older driver for a new server's network card but to no avail.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Mi6t0
Trusted Contributor

Don;t know much about this switch, but a good idea is to stop TOE, RSS and TCP Chimney and to test again.

What setting do you have on the switch? 1 gbit or it is auto?

Try to set the switch to auto, then the server to auto - interesting is what network it will detect, a 100 mbit one, or a 1 gbit.

And you mentioned "all servers". Are there any from other vendors, experiencing the issue? If so... dunnow - try to change some of the switch's settings.

Regards,
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

BRUCE LEWIS

Hi,

I have now resolved this, thanks to Mi6t0's suggestion about the TCP Chimney, which is detailed in the link supplied by Karlo.

My servers are now speedy again! I also had a few new NASs that were slow to write to as well, and that is resolved too.

I had other makes of branded and non-branded servers that were fine or slow before this fix, that is what I was referring to, btw.

So, thank you very much to you two guys, much appreciated, give yourselves a pat on the back. No wonder I couldn't resolve this, because of the nature of the problem.

I am surprised and just a little bit angry that HP are sending out machines like this with a known issue that is three months old, as per the date of the resolution thread, and letting customers waste their time on something they could have advised us about beforehand.

Thank you!

KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

what was the workaround disable chimney?

Netsh int ip set chimney DISABLED

or you did something else?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
BRUCE LEWIS

Hi,

There were a few ways...

1. Call up the network properties settings, being Local Area Connection Properties, where you would edit the TCP/IP settings etc, and select HP Network Configuration Utility, then double click a network adapter, select Advanced Settings, and untick Enable for the selected item TCP Offload Engine.

2. In the tray there is an icon for the HP Network Configuration Utility. Select the adapter and do as above.