1752584 Members
4601 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Slow speeds on HP Dl380 G5 sas card

nasomi
Occasional Contributor

Slow speeds on HP Dl380 G5 sas card

I have a stock hP Dl380 G5 with 8 2.5" hdd's in it, 4 are 72gb 10k rpm in raid 5 and 4 are 180gb enterprise SSD's in raid5. I decided to run a speed test and it turns out I'm only getting 100-120mb/sec from the 72gb sas array, and the same from the SSD's. When I take the SSD's out of the array and test a single drive, I get 100mb/sec as well. On any other computer I test the SSD on I can easily get 250-350mb/sec. Have I configured something wrong?

P.S. This thread has been moved from ITRC ProLiant Deployment & Provisioning Forum to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL).
-HP Forum Moderator

3 REPLIES 3
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: Slow speeds on HP Dl380 G5 sas card

Hi,

Make sure that the SSD's are compatible with the server or Array Controller.

What is the model of SSD, is this HP branded?

What is the firmware version of the array controller?

Thank You!
I am a HP employee.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

nasomi
Occasional Contributor

Sorry, I've sort of figured it out.

It's ah HP P400 raid card. I have two, one 256mb and one 512mb with BBWC. I'm running server 2012. The firmware is 8.20.15.01 on the 512mb card which I'm using now. I don't recall the version for the 256mb card.

From research I've found that write back is disabled, and users that have enabled it gain significantly increased performance. Unfortunately I've been unable to locate a windows based utility for the p400 card that is compatible with windows server 2012.

The SSD's are Intel 520 series, enterprise class. I have 4 72gb HP 10k sas drives in raid5 as well, which suffer from the same performance problem. This tells me it's not exclusive to the SSD array.

I've searched for 2012 support for the controller with spotty success and nothing solid that i've been able to find.

Moving to the 512mb card I suffer even worse performance.

nasomi
Occasional Contributor

Does anyone have any experience with the p400 and server 2012? I'd really like to be able to get this thing working.