cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small Business 2003 on proliant G3

croci
Occasional Visitor

Small Business 2003 on proliant G3

I'm installing SBS2003 son proliant ML350 G3 with SmartArray 642.
The array is configured as RAID 5 without partitions.
Starting from included instructions I used SmartStart and selected Win 2003 server but using the SBS 2003 CD soon, during setup, it stopped with error in script.
To check my hardware I have done again the process with a Win 2003 Server CD and got it installed without errors.
I have found on the support site an HP whitepaper titled:
Instructions for installing Microsoft Smalla Business Server 2003 on HP ProLiant Servers.

But it says to use SmartStart a"nd that after Licencing signing, there is a Manual Configuration in Installation Path" to select: I'm unable to find such a choice.

Is anybody so kind to advice me about the procedure to follow for this O.S.
Thanks
3 REPLIES
e4services
Honored Contributor

Re: Small Business 2003 on proliant G3

The document is correct. You need to do a manual install, but do not use the smartstart. We have a document of How-To at our support page, but basically you just need copies of all the configuration programs and the drivers to get you going.
Clean the drives, reinstall the array manually, initialllize with one partition, install SBS.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
croci
Occasional Visitor

I helped myself and found that procedure indicated in the HP document indicated above is incorrect ( I found it as c00208458.pdf and tc031008in-rev00-us.pdf).
1) in RBSU set OS as windows 2003
2) download drives of your HD and expand them in a floppy disk
3) don't use SmartStart but boot from Microsoft CD 1 of SBS. press F6 when requested to load HP SmartArray drivers and insert the floppy you have ready.
The O.S. 'll be installed without any more problems.
At the end download and apply Proliant Support Pack.
I hope that the above note 'll help someone and urge HP doc people to correct the above white paper.
Thanks all
Kai-Uwe Schurig
Valued Contributor

Hi,

your latest reply should be the right way.
Install without SmartStart and afterwards apply the current PSP (and the MS Updates available for Windows 2003).
This is a known behavior (at least for SBS) and i have done this serveral times without any problems.

Regards,

Kai-Uwe