1752800 Members
5477 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smart-2/P Array Controller

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Smart-2/P Array Controller

Hi, we are planning to reconfigure our Proliant 2500 server.
Currently, we have 5 x 4,1 Gb harddisks connected to a Smart-2/P Array controller in 2 Raid 5 configurations.
We want to replace these disks with 3 x 9.1 Gb harddisks and I'd like to know if these disks: 1 x 9.1 Gb Wide Ultra Scsi, 7200 rpm and
2 x 9.1 Gb Wide Ultra Scsi 3 disks can be connected to the Smart-2/P controller and if they can be configured as one Raid5.
If this is possible, what happens to the array if the Wide Ultra Scsi disk fails and is replaced by a Wide Ultra Scsi 3 disk?
Will this improve the performance of the array?
3 REPLIES 3
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

As long as those "Wide Ultra" drives are NOT the newer Wide Ultra2 or Wide Ultra3 types, they should work fine in the system and with the Wide Ultra SCSI-3 drives. The newer drives won't even fit due to a completely different type of tray (black in color) but all of the Wide Ultra SCSI-x drives do use the older beige trays.

The only thing you may have to do is update the controller's firmware. What version does it have now?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Hi Ron,
thanks for your answer. I'm happy to tell you that we've succeeded in reconfiguring our server. No complaints so far, so everything worked out right. I've looked up the firmware-version of our Smart-2/P controller:
it's version 2.08. I've seen there's an update available, but I can't seem
to download this Softpaq (SP16276.exe). Can you tell me if there's
a problem with this file?

Regards, Martin.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I downloaded the file tonight with no problem. Please try againhttp://www.compaq.com/support/files/server/us/download/9434.html