9130 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Smart 2dh needs converting to 3200

rogerp_1
Frequent Advisor

Smart 2dh needs converting to 3200

Hi,

We have a old Proliant 1600 Server with 4 x 18gb compaq drives runnning on a Smart Array 2DH controller using Raid 5

My question, can and how can i swop the 2DH out for a 3200 with out rebuilding all the os on the server.

Can i simple power down the server, remove the 2DH, replace it with the new 3200 and power it back on, with the logical drive be there.

Cheers
5 REPLIES 5
Janine Bertolo
Honored Contributor

Hi Roger;

In a nutshell: yes.

The 2DH and the 3200 should be at compatible firmware revs. If possible, do that before you make the change.

It's a precaution though, not a requirement.

If the 2DH is dead for instance, just put the 3200 controller in its place, run the F10 configuration utility to recognize the change and boot up.

You'll see the logical drives initialize as usual.

Cheers,

Janine
To get results you've never had before, try something you've never tried before.
ernie park

Hi,

I have an entire Proliant 1600R with a 3200 Smart Array 2 controller and 6 x 18GB drives. I just bought this from a client, but would be willing to sell it. This may be easier for you to just transfer your drives to the new computer rather than performa a repair.

I can be contacted at e@airius.com.

Ernie
Orjan Jerijervi
Advisor

You can also do this (have done it many times):
Put the 3200 in the server with the 2DH. Boot it and install the drivers. Reboot and press F10. Configure the 3200 to be first controller. Save and shut down. Rip out the 2DH card. Boot it again. The 3200 discovers the logical drives and no configuration is neccesary. Probaly the message to press F10 will appear becaus the 2DH card is missing. Let the system selfconfigure and save changes. If you dont have the diagnostics partition you can use a smart start cd.

Orjan

André007
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

our 3200 controller failed, but I still do have a SMART-2DH controller.
Is it possible to revert back to the 2DH from the 3200 as well?

André
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

It's possible to go back, but there may be issues. Any features added by using the 3200 would be lost. This may result in, at a minimum, performance problems.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..