5802 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smart Array 3200 - Not booting any more

Craig Coomber
Occasional Advisor

Smart Array 3200 - Not booting any more

Help!

My 6400R is fitted with a SA3200 controller that was happily booting from a mirror local to the server (18Gb x 2). There is also a 4134 external array conected that I have yesterday configured another mirror, one raid5 array and a another spare 36Gb drive as a single device.

Now when I reboot the array sees 4 drives then the server reports Non-System disk or disk error. Replace and strike any key when ready. It would seem that the 3200 has got the boot order mixed up with the arrays.

I know there is not a floppy disk inserted as I have rebooted before configuring the extra arrays. Server is (was) running Windows 2003 std edition.

Extra complication - it is remote and I can't get to it to insert a Smart Start CD for a number of days, so everything is being done through a RILOE card. Oh, and I seem to have forgotten to install the system partition utilities as well - doh!

Any floppy images I can use to get the boot order sorted out? or do I need to get physically to the server?

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Vijay_44
Honored Contributor

From what you are describing it looks like the Logical drive numbers are messed up. Depending on how the system was originallysetup, it is possible that Logical Drive 1 was not there and the logical drive you were booting off from was, say, Logical Drive 2. When you created another logical drive it takes the lowest available number, so if Logical drive 1 was not there, the new Logical drive becomes Logical Drive 1 and Logical Drive 1 is always the boot logical drive. Now, since there is no system boot files on the newly created Logical Drive 1, you end up with a non-system disk,

Well the other possibility is ├в as you say - that some how the boot controller order is changed and the 3200 is not the boot controller any more.

You can run the SCU from floppy but it is a set of 4 floppies; and to my knowledge we cannot change diskettes using the virtual floppy feature to the RIO
ThereтАЩs your problem!!! This thing is set to EVIL!
Craig Coomber
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply, I ended up leaving it until I could get someone to insert the smart start CD for me.
Craig Coomber
Occasional Advisor

As per comment at the time, I ended up using the smartstart CD later on.