1753808 Members
8416 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

Smart Array 4200 Controller

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Smart Array 4200 Controller

I am trying to install Novell 4.11 to the ML370. I am using Smart Start version 4.90. With this version I can't select the automatic install, I must use manual. I followed the steps, created the diskettes and boot disk. I start the operating system install but when I get to the disk drive drivers installation I receive Public Symbol errors when I attempt to load the CPQSCSI.HAM. Public symbol errors usually mean a suport NLM needs to be loaded prior to loading the HAM driver. What do I need to load? Is there an older version of Smart Start that I can use to perform an automatic install AND have support for the ML370? Please help!!
1 REPLY 1
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Smart Array 4200 Controller

Public symbol error messages come up when one part of the operating system is out of date with respect to another part of it. In this case, cpqscsi.ham is out of date with respect to nwpa.nlm.

Net ware 4.11 is not a supported operating system on the ML370, so you may have problems getting it installed. The operating support matrix is available at the following URL: ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/os-support-matrix-310.pdf.

To attempt to install Net ware 4.11 on this machine, here are some things you can try:
You will want to load cpqarray.ham for hard drive support if you are using a Smart 4200 Array controller. You will load cpqscsi.ham if you have a tape drive or any other such device connected to the embedded SCSI controller. If nothing is connected to the embedded SCSI controller, do not load cpqscsi.ham to conserve system resources.

To install Netware 4.11 manually, you can follow the instructions listed in the NSSD help file on the Smartstart cd. If you double click on the NSSD.HLP file in the :\cpqsupsw\nssd directory, click on the Index tab, and type Insall, you will see the subheading for installing Netware 4.11 with NWPA support. The instructions walk a person through loading nwpa.nlm and cpqshd.cdm from the nssd so that the public symbol error messages do not come up.