1753325 Members
5283 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smart Array 431 Controller - Firmware Update

David Sutcliffe
Occasional Advisor

Smart Array 431 Controller - Firmware Update

Can anyone assist me with updating the firmware of the above controller?

I've searched the HP site for a bootable disk that will upgrade my controller to the latest firmware, but all I can find is an oddly named file which apparently you use in conjunction with the SmartStart CD to upgrade the firmware.

The current firmware level of the card is 1.02, Hardware Revision A. The latest appears to be 1.24.

I am trying to expand/migrate an array (as mentioned in a previous posting) but the Compaq ACU tells me I cannot perform the operation as the firmware needs to be updated.

I've downloaded the oddly named file, placed it on a floppy disk and tried using the ROMPAQ utility on my SmartStart 5.5 CD, but it says it cannot find and files on the disk.

Can anyone help?
13 REPLIES 13
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

have you followed instructions on this page:
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/storage/us/download/19069.html

especially the boot from cdrom?

Michael
David Sutcliffe
Occasional Advisor

Yes I followed those instructions but didn't seem to get anyway.

I had a look on the SmartStart 5.5 CD, and found something in the DiskBuilder section, I was able to create a set of disks for upgrading Compaq Array controllers, which successfully updated my firmware from 1.02 to 1.22.. not the latest version but it seems to have 'unlocked' the expand array option in the Compaq ACU that was unavailable at the previous firmware level.
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

you got to have smart start 6.

Michael
David Sutcliffe
Occasional Advisor

Tried SmartStart 6.20 - We had it from a more recent server.

Problem is, the ML370 I am working on is an old one, when I tried to boot from the CD it stated it was not compatible and that I should use SmartStart 5.5
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Bill Wood_3
Respected Contributor

The only way to upgrade the FW on the 431 to the latest version when installed in a ML370 G1 is to purchase the $49 Smart Start 7.0 kit:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/subscription/smartstart_subscription.html

This kit contains a FW maintenance CD that you can use on any server. It will also work with the .scexe file located at the following:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/19069.html

David Sutcliffe
Occasional Advisor

Yes Bill I discovered that earlier - though I must confess I am pretty disgusted that you have to purchase this at additional cost... updates for all our other servers, IBM, Dell etc are available freely to download from the net.

Thanks for all the pointers guys.
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

thanks for the points, guy. ;-))

Michael
David Sutcliffe
Occasional Advisor

Ok I've decided to reluctantly shell out for the SmartStart CD - but the online store seems to be geared towards the US - I'm in the United Kingdom - is there an on-line shop that I can use to ship the goods to me here in the UK?