108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smart Array 431 Controller - Firmware Update

Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi,

don't know about an online shop, but if you check here:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/SmartStart/ss_sub-service.html
You'll find a phone number and e-mail address for UK customers.

Regards,

Stephen
Seth Parker
Trusted Contributor

Just to confuse the issue some, you can get to version 1.22 of the FW for the 431 by downloading the file from the link below and creating disk #2. Boot the server from that disk and you should be able to flash the firmware.

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/14694.html

Regards,
Seth

P.S. It does seem odd that they're not providing the firmware in an easily usable manner for older servers, especially when the list of fixes for the revision is "Fixed a drive rebuild issue". That's not new functionality...
Tim_216

I am also in the UK and had exactly the same issue!! I tried to do the US download thing and got all the way through to the end till it told me US only!! Annoying eh

Anyway I managed to get a copy from a coligue on another site as the UK offering takes 2 weeks to get to you!

I have just done 4x18gb to 4x72gb and have the expand button available but according to the acu w2k does not support logical drive extension! so it might have to be a new logical drive.

Anyway not realy an answer but just though I would share it with you.
David Sutcliffe
Occasional Advisor

I managed to get the firmware update to 1.22 from the SmartStart 5.5 CD - I think it's the same one that Seth has mentioned, as it makes four diskettes but you only need disk 2.. once I'd applied that, I was able to expand the array and the logical drive, but only off-line using the Compaq ACU.

I found a place in the UK I could get it from in the end, but they wanted me to e-mail all my credit card details.. something I didn't want to do! ..so I've asked one of our resellers if they can get their hands on it.

As a funny final twist, I need to do this procedure on four servers.. what I have only just found out is the other three are newer G3 models, which have the Smart Array 532 not 431 installed, which I'm hoping will have the functionality without needed a firmware upgrade!