HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Array 431 Controller - Firmware Update

David Sutcliffe
Occasional Advisor

Smart Array 431 Controller - Firmware Update

Can anyone assist me with updating the firmware of the above controller?

I've searched the HP site for a bootable disk that will upgrade my controller to the latest firmware, but all I can find is an oddly named file which apparently you use in conjunction with the SmartStart CD to upgrade the firmware.

The current firmware level of the card is 1.02, Hardware Revision A. The latest appears to be 1.24.

I am trying to expand/migrate an array (as mentioned in a previous posting) but the Compaq ACU tells me I cannot perform the operation as the firmware needs to be updated.

I've downloaded the oddly named file, placed it on a floppy disk and tried using the ROMPAQ utility on my SmartStart 5.5 CD, but it says it cannot find and files on the disk.

Can anyone help?
13 REPLIES
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Re: Smart Array 431 Controller - Firmware Update

Hi,

have you followed instructions on this page:
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/storage/us/download/19069.html

especially the boot from cdrom?

Michael
David Sutcliffe
Occasional Advisor

Yes I followed those instructions but didn't seem to get anyway.

I had a look on the SmartStart 5.5 CD, and found something in the DiskBuilder section, I was able to create a set of disks for upgrading Compaq Array controllers, which successfully updated my firmware from 1.02 to 1.22.. not the latest version but it seems to have 'unlocked' the expand array option in the Compaq ACU that was unavailable at the previous firmware level.
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

you got to have smart start 6.

Michael
David Sutcliffe
Occasional Advisor

Tried SmartStart 6.20 - We had it from a more recent server.

Problem is, the ML370 I am working on is an old one, when I tried to boot from the CD it stated it was not compatible and that I should use SmartStart 5.5
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Bill Wood_3
Respected Contributor

The only way to upgrade the FW on the 431 to the latest version when installed in a ML370 G1 is to purchase the $49 Smart Start 7.0 kit:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/subscription/smartstart_subscription.html

This kit contains a FW maintenance CD that you can use on any server. It will also work with the .scexe file located at the following:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/19069.html

David Sutcliffe
Occasional Advisor

Yes Bill I discovered that earlier - though I must confess I am pretty disgusted that you have to purchase this at additional cost... updates for all our other servers, IBM, Dell etc are available freely to download from the net.

Thanks for all the pointers guys.
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

thanks for the points, guy. ;-))

Michael
David Sutcliffe
Occasional Advisor

Ok I've decided to reluctantly shell out for the SmartStart CD - but the online store seems to be geared towards the US - I'm in the United Kingdom - is there an on-line shop that I can use to ship the goods to me here in the UK?
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi,

don't know about an online shop, but if you check here:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/SmartStart/ss_sub-service.html
You'll find a phone number and e-mail address for UK customers.

Regards,

Stephen
Seth Parker
Trusted Contributor

Just to confuse the issue some, you can get to version 1.22 of the FW for the 431 by downloading the file from the link below and creating disk #2. Boot the server from that disk and you should be able to flash the firmware.

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/14694.html

Regards,
Seth

P.S. It does seem odd that they're not providing the firmware in an easily usable manner for older servers, especially when the list of fixes for the revision is "Fixed a drive rebuild issue". That's not new functionality...
Tim_216
Occasional Visitor

I am also in the UK and had exactly the same issue!! I tried to do the US download thing and got all the way through to the end till it told me US only!! Annoying eh

Anyway I managed to get a copy from a coligue on another site as the UK offering takes 2 weeks to get to you!

I have just done 4x18gb to 4x72gb and have the expand button available but according to the acu w2k does not support logical drive extension! so it might have to be a new logical drive.

Anyway not realy an answer but just though I would share it with you.
David Sutcliffe
Occasional Advisor

I managed to get the firmware update to 1.22 from the SmartStart 5.5 CD - I think it's the same one that Seth has mentioned, as it makes four diskettes but you only need disk 2.. once I'd applied that, I was able to expand the array and the logical drive, but only off-line using the Compaq ACU.

I found a place in the UK I could get it from in the end, but they wanted me to e-mail all my credit card details.. something I didn't want to do! ..so I've asked one of our resellers if they can get their hands on it.

As a funny final twist, I need to do this procedure on four servers.. what I have only just found out is the other three are newer G3 models, which have the Smart Array 532 not 431 installed, which I'm hoping will have the functionality without needed a firmware upgrade!