1752810 Members
5803 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Smart Array 431

Jorge Pilayre

Smart Array 431

We have a Compaq ML530 with a Smart Array 431 Controller. The manual says its Total Available Cache is 4MB but the Compaq Array Configuration Utility displays the cache size to be 2MB only. What's the cache size for this controller and how can I increase my setting?

TIA,
Jorge
3 REPLIES 3
Ron Amos
Valued Contributor

Re: Smart Array 431

Hi Jorge,

New 16-MB Cache Performance Engine: Compaq has utilized 16-MB of the controller cache to create a high performance engine and optimize data throughput
Note: 16-MB of DRAM used for code, transfer buffers, and non-battery backed read cache

The above Smart Array 431 documentation says that there is a 16mb cache controller engine. Customer may perceive this as 16mb cache. The cache controller engine is comprised of code data, buffers and cache; this explains the limited amount of memory available for cache.

Cache size is fixed and you cannot change its amount. The only setting is ???Rebuild Priority??? ??? ???Expand Priority???.

Ron
There are some people who live in a dream world
Jorge Pilayre

Hello Ron,

Thanks a lot for dropping by. My next question would then be: How is it that other ML530 servers using also Smart Array 431 controller have higher Total Available Cache?

The Array Configuration Utility displays only one Accelerator Ratio option -> 100%Read, 0%Write. Is there a way to change this? Will replacing Smart Array 431 with a newer controller card improve performance?
Ron Amos
Valued Contributor

Hi Again,

The available Memory for Cache is different for a ML350 compared to a ML530 as it is first required for Code & transfer buffers which must be different on these Servers.

The 100% Read / 0% Write cannot be changed as there is no write cache available. Yes replacing a 431 Controller with a newer Controller would improve performance.

Ron
There are some people who live in a dream world