New Discussion

Re: Smart Array 5300 bad disk replacement

SOLVED
Go to solution
Renato Marchesani
Occasional Advisor

Smart Array 5300 bad disk replacement

Hello everyone,

I have a ML350 G2 server with a RAID 5 array built into a SA 5300.

I'm out of spare disks but I recovered one from an old and unused server.

The disk it's ok, but I'm quite sure that is not empty. It's safe to replace the bad disk with this one? Will the array rebuild correctly erasing existent data on the new disk?

Thanks in advance for any response

Renato

3 REPLIES 3
Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor
Solution

It certainly will yes, we do this all the time!

Also you can use a (same spec) larger capacity disk and it will only use the same capacity of the rest of the drives in the array.

Thanks,

Mark...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white Kudos star to the left if this post is helpful :)
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi Renato,

Smart Array 5300 is a SCSI Raid Controller. Open the ACU to identify the failed hard drive (SCSI ID, Bay No). need to be little cautious incase the spare hard drive that you are replacing with failed hard drive  has a RIS information and you are plugging it in bay 1 which assigns SCSI ID 0 (Boot priority). server will prompt to overwrite the RIS info upon bootup.

otherwise, it works fine as mentioned in the previous post.

thanks,

Aftab

How to assign points on this new forum? Click the Kudos Star!
ITRC Style Sitemap.

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base – Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

saxonicus

hi, we also have a failed disk on a 5300 controller.  Its a RAID-5 (Distributed Data Guarding) setup, and I can see the failed disk in Insight Manager and ACU.  The connecting host is TRU64.  For the actual physical replacement, do you literally just remove the disk and plug in a replacement?  Are there any commands to run pre and post removal ?   And after you replace, does the rebuild happen automatically, or does something need starting ?  thanks.