1753758 Members
4668 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Smart Array 532 and Windows 2000

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Smart Array 532 and Windows 2000

I want to install Windows 2000 Professional on my Proliant ML 350.
I started SmartStart, configured my logical disks, and choose 'other' for the OS to install.
I boot from the Windows 2000 installation CD, press F6 during installation to specify additional SCSI/RAID Drivers, and take files from the driver disk.
After that, the installation load some components, then hangs with the message 'starting Windows 2000'.

- I tested with the original drivers coming with the SA532 Card, and with disk created with SmartStart.
- I also upgraded the firmware of the SA532 card.

(I have the same problem with NT4 Workstation installation)

Is it possible to install W2000 Professional, or only the windows server versions are working ?
Why the installation hangs at this point ?

Thanks for your answers
2 REPLIES 2
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Smart Array 532 and Windows 2000

HI, W2k professional is not supported on the server. But also all you pci slot are 33 mhz and The Smart Array 532 Controller (SA-532) is a 64-bit, 66 MHz dual SCSI channel. Only slot 2 and 3 have the 64 bit but the 33mhz slot. Also The SA-532 is supported only in 3.3-volt PCI slots of all Ultra2 and Ultra3 servers. The SA-532 is not supported in 5-volt PCI slots. The controller might not be supported as well on that server. Does it post and does it show under the RBSU. Hope this will help.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Smart Array 532 and Windows 2000

The server is a ML350 G2. The SA-532 seems to work in this configuration because I can configure my RAID Drives, and SmartStart can install the system utilities partition on the disks.
I suppose that your remark is for the ML350, not for the G2 Model.

For the OS installation, I know that W2000 Pro is not supported by Compaq, but like some other people in this forum who have installed NT40 Workstation, I imagine that is is possible for W2000 Pro with the selection of 'other' OS in the SmartStart setup.