1752565 Members
5803 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smart Array 6400 Accelerator Battery Failures

Tom123
Advisor

With the cache module being disabled the performance of the controller is reduced.The controller will now be writing to disk all the time,as apposed to writing to the cache module first.The data in the cache module is then written to disk when the controller is idle.
nicbot
Occasional Advisor

I have had the same issue. I've upgraded the FW to 2.84 and replaced both batteries on my Smart Array 6402/128 Controller. The array accelerator status is still:

::::::
Temporarily disabled.
Batteries are not fully charged

Battery failure on battery pack 1, replace battery.
Battery failure on battery pack 2, replace battery.
::::::

The status light on the card is yellow blinking indicating (apparently) that the batteries are charging. My question is, how long does it take for them to charge assuming they actually do need to charge?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

-N
Mike Bryenton

Nicbot - did you ever get this fixed?
I have the same issue ...
nicbot
Occasional Advisor

Not yet. We ordered a replacement card from CDW, but it's an HP spare part so it is taking a bit to get to us. Should be here tomorrow though, so I'll post my results after I install and test.

...But it seems the card is failing. Up to date firmware, 2 new batteries installed following the correct procedure on the HP site and the failure is still showing.

Luckily in our case even though performance is degraded, we managed to get the load to a manageable point for our users.

The card was discounted to us, but I think you can get them for under $200 fyi. Might be a good idea to order one up to have on hand anyways :)

-Nic
Mike Bryenton

We did order new one! Our old Smart Array was giving us the battery failure problem so we order a new one. Even with the upgraded firmware we are still getting the same error.
nicbot
Occasional Advisor

Mike I have another thread going on this topic.

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1408947

...we to just received, installed, flashed to current a 'new' controller and are still showing the status of:

::::::::::::
Array accelerator status:
Temporarily disabled
Batteries are not fully charged
Battery failure on battery pack 1, replace battery.
Battery failure on battery pack 2, replace battery.
::::::::::::

At this point I don't know what else to do... :/ Even tried a different slot for the card and nothing.

K Haroldsen

I have a ML 350 g4p with a smart array 6400 controller. We are having the same issue. I have upgraded the firmware to 2.84 and we are still getting this message:

Smart Array 6400 in Slot 3 has one or more array accelerator batteries/capacitors that are failed. Array accelerator operations such as Expansion, Extension, and Migration are temporarily suspended until the batteries/capacitors are replaced. Please consult the user guide to identify and replace the failed components.

We have replaced both batteries.
K Haroldsen

I also went through the latest PSP and updated everything possible on the server.
Mike Bryenton

My conclusion is it is definitely the batteries. I just got my 4th card - updated the firmware - and after an hour or so - batteries were charged and cache enabled.
On all cards batteries seem to be dated from 2006 or 2007 - anyone seen any newer batteries?
Mike Bryenton

Can anyone help me source new batteries? The new card that was working - the batteries died again. All seems to be dated from 2006 or 2007. Are there any newer batteries out there and if so from where?