6085 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smart Array 6400

john_347
Regular Advisor

Smart Array 6400

Hi all,

We have a smart array 6400 that keeps giving us a cache battery alert. we have changed the battery, array controller and installed the firmware update to get rid of this message.. but to no avail.

Its now happening on another 6400 controller Is anybody else having problems like us ??.. we have a few of these controllers, and I'm being to wonder if we should scrap them.

Any help gratefully received

regards

john
16 REPLIES 16
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi John,

Previous firmware versions like 2.32 did not resolve the issue but 2.34 does.

As KOV has suggested -update to 2.34.

Regards,

Brian
Ivajlo Yanakiev
Respected Contributor

I have same problem.
Install lastest frimware
alwayslearning

Hi All,

Have you had any luck with this? I am having the same problem with my machine with server 2000 OS. It says that i have to upgrade disk drive firmware version before applying this one.. how do i find out what disk drive version i have? and whether there is a new version available?

Thanks a mil,

Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You can use the Firmware Maintenance CD to boot the server and apply the firmware needed for the disks. You can be selective and only choose to update the disks rather than all the hardware it finds which needs an update. The Firmware Maintenance CD ISO image along with Smartstart and Management 7.20 CD images can be downloaded free of charge from here.

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/smartstart/

If the current firmware on the 6400 is earlier than 2.32 you may also require the operating system drivers to be updated in advance of the 6400 controller firmware update. There have been some Stop 0X0000007B errors reported in Windows 2000 if the driver isn't updated first.

I hope this helps.

Brian
alwayslearning

Thanks a lot for you help.. Can you let me know how I can find out the current version of the firmware for the controller?
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Look in C:\COMPAQ\SURVEY for the SURVEY.TXT file. This will list all of your current hardware (+) sign against what it finds and (-) sign against previously installed kit.

This will give you an idea at least.

The firmware of the SA6400 will be listed against the logical drives since they are controlled by the SA6400. The individual disk drives will have their respective firmware against them (Something like HP04).

Each disk model will also be listed e.g 36Gb hotplug may be something like BD036XXXXXX.

I hope this helps.

Brian
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I forgot to mention the obvious.
Run the Array Configuration Utility (ACU) or ACUXE -Web Based and look at the controller and disk details from there.

For the disks you can change the view from LOGICAL to PHYSICAL. This will list all the logical drive members. You can then view the detail on individual disks.

Regards,

Brian
alwayslearning

Brian,

Thanks so much for your prompt reply. I found the controller version in the web based ACU under "More information". Its version 1.58.. so an upgrade to v2.4 is well due. I also found the disk model in that file path you provided.

Thanks again..

Jane.