1752587 Members
3969 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smart Array 6402/128MB Battery Failure

nicbot
Occasional Advisor

Smart Array 6402/128MB Battery Failure

I already asked this question in an older thread, but wanted to start a new one just in case...

We have an HP ML370T04 X3.6/800-2M Svr US with a 128MB Smart Array 6402 posting battery failure messages. I've upgraded the FW to 2.84 and replaced both batteries (at the same time) on the controller, but the array accelerator status is still:

::::::
Temporarily disabled.
Batteries are not fully charged

Battery failure on battery pack 1, replace battery.
Battery failure on battery pack 2, replace battery.
::::::

The status light on the card is yellow blinking indicating (apparently) that the batteries are charging. I've left it powered on over night and the light is still blinking yellow. My question is, how long does it take for them to charge assuming they actually do need to charge? Or is my card failing?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

-N
12 REPLIES 12
nicbot
Occasional Advisor

Anyone??
nicbot
Occasional Advisor

*Bump* Is anybody out there??
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

It takes between four and eight hours to recharge the batteries.

You've already upgraded the SA-6402 firmware, but have you rebooted the ML370 G4 following the firmware update? The firmware update won't actually take effect until a reboot.

If the server has already been rebooted following the firmware upgrade then you either have two failed replacement batteries or you have a faulty SA-6402. If you have the original failed batteries you just removed from the server, maybe you could test the batteries on another SA-6402 in another server.
nicbot
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the response...

Firmware updated and server rebooted more than once. 2 new batteries... After weeks now, the array accelerator status is still showing the failed status (batteries not fully charged).

I ordered a replacement card over a week ago from CDW, but it's an HP Spare part so it's taking longer than usual. It should be here tomorrow or the next day, and I hope to swap out the failing card to resolve the issue.

I had another Smart Array 6402/128MB card in another production server, but decided to limp this server along until the replacement gets here. Didn't want to potentially take down 2 production machines just to troubleshoot ;)

...learning from mistakes and will have a spare on hand for future struggles

-Nic
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

After replacing the SA-6402, attaching the new charged batteries, and flashing the firmware (if necessary), please keep in mind that it may take a few hours for the new SA-6402 to report that the batteries are charged and the accelerator (write cache) enabled. I've seen that behavior.
nicbot
Occasional Advisor

Received replacement controller. Installed controller last night. Firmware was at 2.5x so I flashed it to current (2.84) and rebooted the machine.

At first the battery status was:

::::::::::::
Array accelerator status:
Temporarily disabled

But then it changed to something like the following after a few min:

Temporarily disabled
Battery charging on battery pack 1.
Battery failure on battery pack 2.

I came in this morning hoping to find the stats changed to charged and enabled, but now it's back to the original status of;

Temporarily disabled

Please help, this is very frustrating.
nicbot
Occasional Advisor

An update...

We recently did some hardware relocating and maintenance. During the process I was able to take down 2 servers that had identical 6402 controllers. Since one server is just a web server, I swapped the known good card with the failing one (took 60 seconds). After power up and a few min, I checked the controller status on both and both showed no errors!

Now after it's been 3 days, the card in the high I/O server is still showing no errors, but the suspect card now shows the following error:
:::::::::::

Temporarily disabled

I have another 'new' battery that I will replace the suspect battery pack 2 with, but it will need to wait for a maintenance window.

I find it interesting that before the swap, the suspect controllers status would not change and showed both packs failed. Now after the swap, only one pack shows failure. This is a new controller card with new batteries. It's looking like there is some inconsistency with the replacement batteries functioning properly.

I'll update after I am able to replace the battery again :/
WCDJFS
Occasional Visitor

Did what you did fix the error message?

I have a ML350G4 with pretty much the same error:  Battery failure on battery pack 1, replace battery. I upgraded the controller firmware to version 2.84 but didn't fix it. Then I replaced both battery packs 1 & 2 on the cache module and controller cards but didn't fix it. Then HP told me to replace the cache module itself which I did with a new one but still getting the same error message on battery pack 1.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?  I don't know what more to do now?

Lincy_Zachariah
Valued Contributor

Hi,

If the ACU, ADU, or SMH report battery failure after the firmware upgrade has been applied, battery replacement is required using Spares Kit 307132-001.

It takes between four and eight hours to recharge the batteries. After a firmware upgrade the server has to be rebooted for the firmware to take effect.

The Smart Array 6402/6404 Controllers have two batteries that should be replaced together (as a best practice), even if only one battery has failed.

If issue is not resolved you can call HP Support to further troubleshoot and replace the controller.

Thanks.

Was the post useful? Clik on the white KUDOS! Star.