108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smart Array 641 - create a new array (Level5) - Data may not be lost

Henkel_1

Smart Array 641 - create a new array (Level5) - Data may not be lost

Hello,
we have the following problem.
System: ML 350 Windows 2003 std. SmartArray 641 Controller, 3 HDD U320 72GB
During the operation of the system it was removed 1 HDD of the logicaldrive 1 (RAID5).
The system stopped and the workers put the plate back into the SLOT.
After the reboot the ID2 is recognized as defective and the system bootet no more
the OS. I installed a new operating system on ID 4 & 5 ( RaidLevel 1). And the OS recognizes the old partitions. But cannot access -however. ID 2 is marked dead failed.
Is it possibility create a new raid 5 without written to Harddisk. We may lose the data in no case.
I have try to rebuild with a new HDD - unfortunately I have then the same problem.
If I plugged in the new HDD the LED┬┤s show me an rebuild.
With the access from the operating system to the partitions comes the message please data media insert.
3 REPLIES 3
Rajashekar Chintakunta
Honored Contributor

Hi Henkel,

Has the Disk was remove when the server was working, may be some of the OS System file would be corrupt and because of that it might not be booting to windows.

In Raid 5 if one of the disk is rebuilding we should still be able to access the logical drive. I would suggest let the rebuild complete then check if you could access the logical drive. If still not accessible, remove the Raid 1 disks. Boot with only the Raid 5 disks goto Recovery Console and try to recover and missing file. If that is not resolving the issue you could try doing a parallel install and check.

Regards,
Raj.
Henkel_1

Hello Raj,
"Boot with only the Raid 5 disks goto Recovery Console and try to recover and missing file. If that is not resolving the issue you could try doing a parallel install and check."
it is not possible to access the 2 partitions on a parallel install(new drive).
The Systemmanager diplays 2 partitions with 0 MB!

Gr├Г┬╝├Г e Chris Henkel
Rajashekar Chintakunta
Honored Contributor

Hi Henkel,

If the diskmanagement is not pulling up the partition information we will not be able to access it. I would suggest to open Array configuration utility(ACU) and check if the Raid 5 is rebuilt or is intact and that the logical drive is fine. Check the size of the logical drive. If it is showing the logical drive information properly with the space it was created with then restart the server once and check if disk management picks up the information. Else I would suggest you to contact some data recovery company.

Regards,
Raj.