1753875 Members
7761 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smart Array 6i Linux driver

Agur Jakeh
Occasional Advisor

Smart Array 6i Linux driver

I am a Linux newbie who is having great difficulty getting this driver - http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/22020.html - to fit on a Linux formatted floppy disk. I need this driver to be available for install on my Proliant DL360 G4. Thanks for any help offered/received.
10 REPLIES 10
Ivajlo Yanakiev
Respected Contributor

My decision is to put IDE disk and install your OS on it.
After that rebuild your kernel with new 6i drivers.
Agur Jakeh
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, Ivajlo. That sounds reasonable. However, as a Linux newbie, I'll need a tutorial on how to rebuild kernels. Any links/suggestions?
Ivajlo Yanakiev
Respected Contributor

what kind of liux you are using ?
Agur Jakeh
Occasional Advisor

RH 7.3 kernel 2.4.20.
Ivajlo Yanakiev
Respected Contributor

Ivajlo Yanakiev
Respected Contributor

HGN
Honored Contributor

Hi

The smart array 6i driver is available on HP website. To get this installed
1.Download the driver from HP
2.Create the driver floppy
3.Start the OS load with driver option
4.Once it asks for the driver and loads it then you will be able to see the disks
(PRE-Requisite is need to create the array before all this)
Please also check with HP on what Update CD the array will get sensed do not try any other update cd since it will work only with the update version HP suggests.

Hope this helps

Rgds

HGN
Agur Jakeh
Occasional Advisor

My problem is that the driver has to be on a Linux formatted floppy because the OS will not read it otherwise. However, formatting the floppy with Linux does not leave enough room for the 6i driver. So I am stuck.
HGN
Honored Contributor

Hi

The driver disk can be created in dos as well
All that is required is a rawwrite util the details are

MAKING A DISKETTE UNDER MS-DOS:
Save the "cpq_cciss-< version >.rhel3.emt64t.dd.gz" file into a temporary directory. Use WINZIP to extract "cpq_cciss-< version >.rhel3.emt64t.dd" from this file into the same directory. Please ensure that "cpq_cciss-< version >.rhel3.emt64t.dd" is a DOS 8.3 name.

Use the "rawrite" utility which is included on the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 - emt64t CD in the "dosutil" directory.

Label a blank, formatted 3.5-inch diskette as "ProLiant Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 - emt64t Driver Diskette". Next, insert the diskette in the diskette drive. Then, use the following commands (assuming your ProLiant Disk Image is at the location c: and your CD-ROM is drive d:)
C:\> d:\dosutils\rawrite
Enter disk image source file name: cpq_cciss-< version >.rhel3.emt64t.dd
Enter target diskette drive: a:
Please insert a formatted diskette into drive A: and press --ENTER-- : Enter

The above was taken from the HP website, I have created many many drivers for Linux using rawwrite and there are no issues, hope this helps in solving the issue.

Rgds

HGN