New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smart Array Configuration

SOLVED
Go to solution
Melinda Myers_2
Occasional Contributor

Smart Array Configuration

Hello,

I have questions regarding array configuration. The server has the following specs:

Proliant DL380 G3
Smart Array Controller 642
Single Array:
5 Physical disks each 72 GB
4 disks have 10 Logical Drives All logical drives are RAID 5.
5th disk is spare
HP Array Configuration Utility version 7.5.0.23.0
Operating System: Windows 2003 Std Edition w/ SP1

I have created a memory pagefile for Windows that is currently located on one of the
logical drives of the RAID array. I know that this is not the best configuration.
B/c of striping the paging will take a major performance hit and the pagefile will be
fragmented. I want to instead create a pagefile on a disk that is not striped.

I am not sure how to do this on the current array.

Here is what I am thinking:

Add a 6th physical disk to the array and create a logical drive w/ RAID 0. This logical
drive would take the entire capacity of the physical disk. Create the pagefile on a
partition on this logical volume and do not use this lv for anything else.

1st - can I have a LV in the array w/ RAID 0 when all other LVs are RAID 5?
2nd - If there is only one RAID 0 LV, will the pagefile be confined to this LV and
not be striped?

Will this plan work? Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Melinda:

1st - You can mix and match Logical Drive raid levels easily. The "Array" is not raid away, rather the Logical Disk is. the array s more of just a pool of Disks.

2nd - if you ADD a disk to the existing array, the pagefile will effectively be "striped" across all disks since data is spread out in the array.

If you are going to use raid0, the I would simply install the new drive, create a new array "Array B" with the one drive, initialize, format and set up pagefile. THis would guaranttee the pagefile is on that one single disk.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Melinda Myers_2
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Steven.

I did think about creating a 2nd array, but at first thought that I couldn't. I did not see it as an option that was currently available (see attached). I guess it would make sense that this option won't be available until I add another physical disk.

I appreciate your assistance with this!!!