1753820 Members
8676 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smart Array Controllers

Ed78
Occasional Visitor

Smart Array Controllers

I have an HP Proliant DL370 G6 Server working with a 1+0 array on its default 512 MB p410 controller, I want to add a second array Raid5 on the same controller with 3 new 300GB drives but it doesnt appear RAID 5, I have only RAID 0 option. I tought that maybe I would need more cache memory, so I installed a 2 GB p420 controller PCIe, but in this scenario I can't do anything on this controller from ACU, It doesnt appear the unused disks so I cant create anything.

I remove the cache memory card from p410 controller and I removed the 3 new drives too, I had only 2 146GB drives inserted to create the 1+0 array again but in this case on p420 controller, I marked it as default boot, I erased the logical drive from p410 controller but when I wanted to create the logical drive on p420 controller it tells me that there are not physical drives detected. If I return to p410 controller can create it with no problems but not from p420 controller.

Does somebody have any idea that could help me? I'm starting to work with servers so I dont have too much knlowledge about them.

Thanks and regards
5 REPLIES 5
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

You need to connect the drives to the new controller. Just installing a PCIe card does not automatically connect it to any disks.

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

The P410 must have write cache enabled, for RAID 5

see section: Fault Tolerence:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13201_na/13201_na.HTML

Also read the Smart Array Technology Brief:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/technology/whitepapers/proliant-storage.html

BR

/jag

Accept or Kudo

VBO
Frequent Advisor

Hello,

Which is the gain from a 512Mb FBWC and the 2Gb FBWC ? Real gain  in a Hyper-V 3.0 environment ?

Ed78
Occasional Visitor

It was just because ACU wasnt offering  us a RAID 5 option for our 3 disks, only RAID 0, we were thinking that he reason was memory issue, but it didn't. As fact I want to do both array on p410 controller, but I don't know what is missing to enable RAID 5 on that controller.

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

You need a write cache enabler.

You have 2 options:

1. BBWC - Battery Backed Write Cache.

Depending on the Smart Array model, you will get a battery only or a new Cache module with Battery.

2. FBWC - Flash Backed Write Cache.

The FBWC used a flash card and super capasitors, to flush unwritten data in write cache, in case of power loss.

The BBWC, use a battery to keep the cache module powered in case of power loss.

It will also kep unwritten data safe in case of failure on the Smart Array controller.

BR

/jag

Accept or Kudo