5806 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smart Array E200

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kyle Hawthorne

Smart Array E200

I need to replace the Smart Array E200 card in my Proliant DL180 G5 server. After I replace the card, is there any configuration required or will it work just like the old did? If there is some configuration required, how do I do it? Please let me know.
6 REPLIES 6
Shayne Heidemann
Regular Advisor
Solution

SmartArray store the configuration on a small are of each hard drive in the array, just replacing the card should not cause this to be lost.
Kyle Hawthorne

I will be replacing the card on Friday afternoon. If I am "a happy camper" after the installation, then I will award points on Monday.
TTr
Honored Contributor

What Shayne said is correct. You can replace the E200 with another E200 or any of the HP SAS based SA array controllers and it will find the array configuration on the disks and bind them into arrays as they were before.

As always have a good backup before doing any array/disk work for just in case.

> If I am "a happy camper" after...

Don't shoot the messenger if something goes wrong.
Kyle Hawthorne

I appreciate the help. I just did not want to award points until the job was done.
HowardA
Occasional Visitor

This sounds like good news.  

I have to replace a failed Smart Array e200 controller which has taken a four-year old server running Microsoft Small Business Server 2003 offline.  I'm currently waiting for the replacement e200 controller to arrive.  The client runs a busy office and I'm very much hoping that the replacement of the failed e200 will get them back on line quickly.

The 'HP Smart Array E200 Controller User Guide' emphasizes the importance of updating firmware and drivers but does NOT mention that array configuration data is stored on the disks and does not have to be re-created.  As I have all the disks mirrored I was very worried about misconfiguring the array and losing data.  It is all backed up, but the time that would take would be a problem.

Thanks for this information.

Howard A

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

The array configuration is stored on the disks. The only issue you could encounter is the firmware on the replacement controller being older than what was on the failed controller. In this case you would just need to update the controller firmware

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!