1752800 Members
5595 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Smart Array Expansion - Can I run SQL Server while Expanding

JohnMartin
Occasional Contributor

Smart Array Expansion - Can I run SQL Server while Expanding

I have a ProLiant DL385 SmartArray 6i expanding now (adding 2 SCSI drives).  Calculations show the expansion will take about 70 hours to finish.

Can I start the services for SQL Server while this is running - users will want to use it at about the 50 hour mark on Saturday when they come in to work. 

Will this affect or hurt the Expansion?

4 REPLIES 4
JohnMartin
Occasional Contributor

Re: Smart Array Expansion - Can I run SQL Server while Expanding

NOTE: The server is online, I am running ACU in Browser Mode as I do the expansion.  Right now I have stopped all the SQL Server services, but want to know if I can start them without disrupting the expansion.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Will this affect or hurt the Expansion?

It will slow it down of course.  There are only so many IOPS that you can do.

Since you aren't replacing a failed drive, perhaps it won't matter if it slows the expansion.

JohnMartin
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, Dennis,

I will give it a try - it will not be a full crew working Saturday, so it should be light usage, other than SQL Server's own activities.  But I will also turn off the Full Backup and Indexing of SQL Server for the day to help minimize that.

JohnMartin
Occasional Contributor

Completed:

In ACU:

1. After inserting drives: Select High Priority for both options in Controller Settings

2. Choose Expand Array and select both drives (goal is one volume from 6 - 146.8 GB SCSI drives) and click Save

3. After 50 % trasfroming, start SQL Server services to make ready for production use after holidays (about 45 hours into Expansion

4. Transformning reached 100% at about 85 hours

5. In ACU select Extend Volume and set size to max of 683.6 GB 

6. it showed volume now at 683.6 GB, but windows still at 410 GB

7. Reboot after about an hour of nothing happening - still no added space in Windows Explorer

8. Went into Computer Managements / Storage Management - there the unused space showed in the graphic view.

9. Right click graphic view of volume and choose Expand and select full amount of unused space.

10. Immediately the unused space was part of drive and available for use.

11. Total time about 86 hours - the ACU documentation was correct for Expanding, but not for Extending (yet the documentation was for some ACU version different than mine because of differences in the interface)

12. Running Windows Server 2008 which had capability to Extend drive in Computer Storage Management interface.

Thanks for help.