7813 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Smart Array Failure ML530

David Rivers
Occasional Advisor

Smart Array Failure ML530

Hello,

I recently decided to buy a second hand ML530 server, I managed to set up SBS2003 on it ok, however on boot I kept getting error messages telling me the scsi device etc where not configured, after doing some digging I stumbled across the SmartStart CD's.

Currently I have V5.10 and V7.51 (I purchased 7.51 fist only to find out it can't find my controller [a side issue])

After playing around with V5.10 to try and reset up my raid controller etc I decided to explore rompaq, however I got to a stage where rompaq told me my current firmware was newer than that on the CD so I exited without flashing.

Not sure if that is relevant but since using the CD's the server now says the following on boot;-

Smart Array 5300 controller
Drive Array Controller Failure!
Command Failure (cmd=0h, err=00h, dlu=0F108:67FH)

Have read of a similar issue so have tried reseating and moving the controller card, and also flashed the firmware successfully (however as mentioned above the firmware was a downgrade)

Can anyone shed some light on the situation, I am new to server architecture I currently use my system for testing / learning ;)
14 REPLIES 14
David Rivers
Occasional Advisor

Re: Smart Array Failure ML530

Can anyone give me an idea of why this isn't working? If the card is un-repairable then I'd like to know sooner rather than later so I can try and get a new one
Marek Nelec
Honored Contributor

I've seen this kind of messages with SA-3200 and SA-5300 controllers. For me it's definitely a dead controller.
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

hi,

i would say before replacing it with some other contrller.
try out this.
clear nvram
clean the contact for controller
reflash controller firmware using the firmware CD available on web. of using floppy

then check again.
You might get lucky.

Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
David Rivers
Occasional Advisor

how do I clear NVram
Marek Nelec
Honored Contributor

Since ML530 does not have RBSU, you would have to use SmartStart CD 5.50 or earlier to use System Erase Utility (it erases everything,a long with all disk drives connected), or use a jumper on the motherboard to clear the CMOS data. ML530 is quite old now and i doubt that it uses NVRAM. I seriously doubt that it would help with the controller though. The dead controllers SA-3200 and SA-5300 that I mentioned in my previous post behave the same way when moved to a different servers.
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_122829-004/TPM_122829-004.pdf

switch no : 6

Maintenance NVRAM invalidated;
configuration lost
NVRAM validated;

REfer to pdf it will tell you how to do it.
Page information : 2-122 (137 of 168)
Nothing is impossible
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

yes as mentioned above there are less chances but still it's better to give it a try before replacing it.

Prashant
Nothing is impossible
David Rivers
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

thanks for the replies.

I tried using the firmware cd provided above, however it doesn't not detect the controller.

I tried using SmartStart V5.5 however when I flash the firmware (which takes along time) it comes up with

Flash unsuccessful: Bh

I assume this means the card is knackered?
Marek Nelec
Honored Contributor

Looks like it is...