4944 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Smart Array P410i Status Code 785

Grantsdale
Occasional Contributor

Smart Array P410i Status Code 785

Hi all,

I've got a server that my company inherited the support for that had a failed drive in its array. I replaced the drive in early Jan, and the rebuild went fine. However, ever since the rebuild, the controller status has bee:

'785 - Background parity initialization is currently queued or in progress on Logical Drive 1 (1.4 TB, RAID 5). If background parity initialization is queued, it will start when I/O is performed on the drive. When background parity initialization completes, the performance of the logical drive will improve.  '

I know this can take up to a couple weeks sometimes, but two+ months?

Is there a way to force it or speed it along?

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

If the message appears for two+ more months, then there could be some other issues, for example:

Array Utility you are using may be having some issues.  Update this software.

Array controller and hard drive firmware may have a incompatibility issue.  Update the firmware's.

Perform Array Diagnostic Utility and check the report to see if any other drive's are failing.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee

Useful Links for ProLiant Servers

Self Solve Options for ProLiant Servers

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Sbrown
Valued Contributor

It used to be ESXi would cause the background initialization to never stop!

Take the server offline for a couple of hours into the SPP CD-rom and wait for the raid to complete initialization!

Grantsdale
Occasional Contributor

That makes sense. They do run VMs on the machine. I can't really take it offline, unfortunately. I'll have to figure something out. 

Sbrown
Valued Contributor

you can check the status of an esxi server using the hp offline bundle included hpacucli it installs to /opt/hp/hpacucli iirc, it can query and determine the status/act on the smart array from the ESXI CLI while the server is running!