4771 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smart Array P440 controller fails updates

deadpete
Advisor

Smart Array P440 controller fails updates

Hi folks,

I've got a new server DL180 Gen9, and I'm trying to update the BIOS in the P440 Smart Array controller. The current BIOS version is 5.04, and the current available for download is 5.52. The reason I want to update the BIOS, is a nagging Windows event (about 20000 entries per day), that there is a failed IOCTL, which not uncommonly implies that there's a hardware problem. At least, I would like to eliminate a buggy BIOS as the cause. And I will not put the server in production, until the most serious errors are gone from the event log.

The problem is, the update always fails when I run the update package (cp032905.exe). I've tried several times, always with a reference to the engineering log. I've also tried Smart Provisioning at boot time, but Smart Provisioning cannot contact any HPE servers (seems to be the normal state of affairs), so no luck there.

I would be grateful to get any advice how to solve the situation.

Best regards,

Pete

8 REPLIES 8
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@deadpete wrote:

I've got a new server DL180 Gen9, and I'm trying to update the BIOS in the P440 Smart Array controller.  

Just trying to keep some terminology straight here. Gen8 systems were the last ProLiant that the System ROM was BIOS-based, Gen9 and later systems have a UEFI-based System ROM.  All of the peripheral components such as network adapters and smart array controllers have firmware.

@deadpete wrote:

The problem is, the update always fails when I run the update package (cp032905.exe). I've tried several times, always with a reference to the engineering log.  

What error information is being displayed? 
Have you tried updating the system and controller using the SPP?

@deadpete wrote:

I've also tried Smart Provisioning at boot time, but Smart Provisioning cannot contact any HPE servers (seems to be the normal state of affairs), so no luck there. 

Have you updated to the latest release of Intelligent Provisioning?  I don't recall what version contained the new HPE.com URLS,  but some of the older versions pointed to HP.com as they were released before the company seperation.

Intelligent Provisioning releases

Version 1.xx Gen8
Version 2.xx Gen9
Version 3.xx Gen10

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
parnassus
Honored Contributor

I presume your HPE ProLiant DL180 Gen9 with HPE Smart Array P440 is running a supported version of Windows Server operating system (you wrote "Windows events"...and you cited the cp032905.exe)...so note - if not yet done before - that you should worry about the below specific note before attempting to update the P440 Firmware from version 5.04 to version 5.52 (B), which is the current latest available Firmware version you will install using that cp032905.exe file:

"Version 5.52 (B):

Modified component installer to detect if the Windows HPCISSS3.sys driver version 100.18.2.64 is installed.  With HPCISSS3.sys driver version 100.18.2.64 a Windows blue screen could occur during installation of the controller firmware. HPCISSS3.sys driver must be updated to version 100.20.0.64 or later and the Windows operating system must be restarted before attempting to install this component."

Reference here.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
deadpete
Advisor

Hi Jimmy,

From a users standpoint, I don't care if it's BIOS or UEFI. The update fails, that's what I notice.

The error message is:

<quote>

The installation procedure did not complete successfully.  An error occurred during the setup process.

You may look at the setup log file for more details if desired.

Additional Information:
 Flash failed
A fatal error occurred. See engineering log for details.

Press the 'Close' button to exit Setup.

</quote>

Tried to attach the latest log here, but it's not allowed. At least, inside the log there is a line that says:

<quote>

This component cannot be installed with the Windows HPCISSS3.sys driver version 100.18.2.64.  Please update the HPCISSS3.sys driver and restart the operating system before installing this component

</quote>

I have got no idea what I should install to get the latest HPCISSS3.sys driver. All the latest stuff in the software and driver list for the server is installed.

I've also been digging further, and the error event about a failing IOCTL is really from the controller (see below).

<quote>

- <System>
  <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-StorDiag" Guid="{F5D05B38-80A6-4653-825D-C414E4AB3C68}" />
  <EventID>504</EventID>
  <Version>1</Version>
  <Level>2</Level>
  <Task>200</Task>
  <Opcode>101</Opcode>
  <Keywords>0x800000040000000</Keywords>
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-08-21T22:20:22.432600100Z" />
  <EventRecordID>60288</EventRecordID>
  <Correlation />
  <Execution ProcessID="7464" ThreadID="9428" />
  <Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Storage-ClassPnP/Operational</Channel>
  <Computer>SRV201701.atmos.local</Computer>
  <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data Name="DeviceGUID">{5990E365-D304-8CEE-B0EB-DB1E0DCEBC2D}</Data>
  <Data Name="DeviceNumber">0</Data>
  <Data Name="Vendor">HP</Data>
  <Data Name="Model">LOGICAL VOLUME</Data>
  <Data Name="FirmwareVersion">5.04</Data>
  <Data Name="SerialNumber">PDNMF0ARH752OZ</Data>
  <Data Name="IrpStatus">0xc0000185</Data>
  <Data Name="IoctlControlCode">0x74080</Data>
  </EventData>
  </Event>

</quote>

I uninstalled most of the HP software, and the error stopped occuring in the event log. That does not mean however, that the controller or interface is OK. It may have serious issues, or may not. Just that the components catching errors are not installed. Or there's a bug in the HPE software logging false errors.

Thanks for your input Jimmy.

Pete

deadpete
Advisor

Hi parnassus,

Yes, I've installed Windows 2016 Standard. I have got no idea however, where to get the updated HPCISSS3.sys driver. I've applied every update that was offered for my server on the HPE support pages.

Thanks for your advice,

Pete

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The messages obviously points to this driver:

http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=1008854142&swItemId=MTX_356a2e1f7acb4b32bf71b87bbb&swEnvOid=4138#tab1

Another option is to boot the server from SPP2017.04 and update the firmware.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
parnassus
Honored Contributor

deadpete wrote: From a users standpoint, I don't care if it's BIOS or UEFI. The update fails, that's what I notice

What you noticed helps you, using a proper terminology in describing an issue you're experiencing helps other Community members to better understand what's going on on a system they don't have under their eyes...

deadpete wrote: The error message is:

The installation procedure did not complete successfully.  An error occurred during the setup process.

You may look at the setup log file for more details if desired.

Additional Information:
 Flash failed
A fatal error occurred. See engineering log for details.

Press the 'Close' button to exit Setup.

Tried to attach the latest log here, but it's not allowed. At least, inside the log there is a line that says:

This component cannot be installed with the Windows HPCISSS3.sys driver version 100.18.2.64.  Please update the HPCISSS3.sys driver and restart the operating system before installing this component

I have got no idea what I should install to get the latest HPCISSS3.sys driver. All the latest stuff in the software and driver list for the server is installed.

So...in the Error Log message the solution was already proposed (see recommandation about updating HPCISSS3.sys driver's version)...and, it the P440 Firmware update application found that...it means that the SATA/SAS Smart Array driver, as per 5.52(B) Firmware release note, wasn't yet updated as requested (so not "latest stuff", at least for this particular software driver component).

One thing I always do is carefully read Release Notes especially when Server needs to have updated SystemROM and/or Smart Array Controller Firmwares...if there is a specific recommandation (as example: update the Software Driver first, perform the operation Offline or do a proper controlled OS reboot...) is better to know it first instead to hit an issue.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
deadpete
Advisor

Hi Torsten,

A bit embarrasing, I overlooked that one.

I revisited the updates and installed SPP2017.04. The server is now completely current.

Thanks to everybody pointing me in the right direction.

Regards.,

Peter

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

>> I've applied every update that was offered for my server on the HPE support pages.

Well ...

Good to know it is working now ... :-)

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!