1753458 Members
4897 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smart Array P721M firmware update fails oddly

pieter999
Occasional Visitor

Smart Array P721M firmware update fails oddly

We have a BL460c Gen9 (2 CPUs) with the P721M controller the mezzanine slot. It currently runs firmware 6.68 is seen fine by the Smart Storage Administrator (though it sees no SAS disks or SAS D2700 chassis that are connected)

I am trying to update to firmware 8.32(C) however everytime the firmware updater is run it just times out and never updates the firmware. It also locks up the controller so that I have to hard reset the blade to attempt another update. All Smart Array drivers and tools are installed and everything in device manager is showing online.

I have tried updating the firmware using Windows, Linux and the Service Pack ISO but the same error occurs every time.

[ Nov 18 11:24:10 ] Setting Install State: 2
[ Nov 18 11:24:16 ]
[ Nov 18 11:24:16 ] 11512: Sending Pause Background Activity command to device AC:1652253272
[ Nov 18 11:24:54 ] Internal Exit Status: 106
[ Nov 18 11:24:54 ] See log at C:\cpqsystem\log\\cp033362_2020_11_18_11_24_09.log
[ Nov 18 11:24:54 ] ============ Summary ============
[ Nov 18 11:24:54 ] Smart Component Finished
[ Nov 18 11:24:54 ] Exit Status: 0
[ Nov 18 11:24:54 ] Not all threads completed successfully. Any active/pending flashes could have timed-out and can not be confirmed successful. See log for details
[ Nov 18 11:24:54 ] A fatal error occurred. See engineering log for details.

6 REPLIES 6
ksram
HPE Pro

Hi @pieter999,

Thank you for the Post.

I would request you to try to update the Driver and then try to update the Firmware.

Driver : https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_90b6d3b309174d6f86065034ff#tab-history

If its the same, you may try to update it Offline method using SPP.

Please try and let us know we shall share the further steps.

Thank you

Ram 

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

pieter999
Occasional Visitor

Hi Ksram

I have tried all three. Online updates from within Windows and Linux and using the offline service pack disc (SPP). They all have the same result.

Thank you

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Did you try to boot from SPP?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
pieter999
Occasional Visitor

Hi Torsten

Correct. I booted from the SPP image over iLO.

Like Linux and Windows it attempts to update the firmware but after a while it ends with the same error.

Other firmware which is not the controller in question flashes fine. The onboard Smart Array P244br which does the two front bay disks flashes without issue as well. It is purely the P721m in Mezzanine slot 2 which will not flash. Almost like the controller is write protected in terms of behaviour.

I have also tried moving the P721m to another blade now, same result.

Thank you

ksram
HPE Pro

Hi @pieter999 ,

May we please know if you have tried applying the Driver and then the Firmware update? if not please do try this once.

Check if Controller Encryption is enabled - try disabling this (https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04318075.pdf)

Also do we have any other log files apart from the Error shared - such as Engineering logs? if yes please do share the same.

Thank you

Ram

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

ksram
HPE Pro

Hi @pieter999 ,

Kindly let us know if the shared information were helpful or if you you are looking for more information.

Thank you

Ram

I work for HPE.

Accept or Kudo