1752801 Members
5761 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Smart Array P800 disabled because of cache module

sheld0r
Occasional Visitor

Smart Array P800 disabled because of cache module

I'm getting the following error message in my ACU for a HP Smart Array P800 card.

Smart Array P800 in slot 7 is disabled because of the cache module is not attached.  Please re-attach the cache module to re-enable the controller.

I've tried reconnecting the cache modules, swapped them out with new ones, and reseated the card in same slot and different slots.  I even purchased another P800 card, but the error remains.  

I'm running the Array Configuration Utility Version 9.20.9.0 on Server 2003.  I no longer have support to upgrade the firmware, but at one point it was working on this firmware.

Any thoughts? 

4 REPLIES 4
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: Smart Array P800 disabled because of cache module

Hi,

Downgrade ACU version and check.

You have also reseated the card and also tried with new P800.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

sheld0r
Occasional Visitor

I've tried both downgrading and upgraded the ACU, same result.  I've also tried reseating the card in different slots too.

Could this be an issue on the server.  What are the odds of two bad P800 cards?  What would be a good way to determine if it's indeed the server mobo?  The ACU report doesn't state any other details either. 

Sbrown
Valued Contributor

These cards are finicky - what happens is someone really bright puts the card down attached to the battery on a conductive surface and blows the caps off - inspect for such damage. It is very easy to do.

Good thing - the P800 is worthless - ebay replacements are $50 tops (minus battery always use new!)

And if you have the right server you can replace with a super-cap P812 (or even P822) but remember the P812/822 use more than 25 watts which the P800 does not. These newer cards run out of spec and only certain servers are happy to deliver more power than necessary.

What you do get is super-capacitor - ie 10 years of not having to worry about it. And they are actually faster.

I've got a P812 in my dl320s which is a predecessor to the DL180 G5 - PCI-E 1.0 no less. works great. Much faster RAID-50. The larger cache helps too.

But yeah, think if someone popped that card on the chassis ? that is metal, it will kill the card instantly since the batteries are typically mounted on the card itself and nobody removes them.

If you do have cabling, that was the exact problem that ate a dozen under-warranty raid controllers. After replacing everything N times, they figured out the cable was too long.

sheld0r
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for taking the time to respond Sbrown.  Just my luck!!  Based on your response, I'm not even going to bother with this P800.  I'm sending it back right away and getting the P812 card.  I paid full price from our vendor, so might as well pay a little extra and get the P812.  We actually have 2 of them in that server right now, and they are rocking!!

You just saved me a ton of time.  Greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,