1752826 Members
4287 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Smart Array b110i can only detect 700GB of 3TB

armadasaxon

Smart Array b110i can only detect 700GB of 3TB

Hi support,

My server HP ML110G7 now has raid 1+0 (1TB x 2).

Now i just want to add (3TB x 2) for storage only..

When i try to use the F8 in bios, it only allows me to create a logical drive of only 800GB..What could be the problem?

The ACU in windows will detect it as 0TB.

Could updating the driver solve it?

Im using windows server 2012 foundation.

P.S. This thread has been moved from ProLiant Storage Systems to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL). - Hp Forum Moderator

1 REPLY 1
RobertCElliott
Visitor

Re: Smart Array b110i can only detect 700GB of 3TB

Sorry, the B110i only supports 2 TiB (2.2 TB) drives, the maximum that is supported by 32-bit LBAs (logical block addresses).  

If software tries to store the value of 3 TB in a 32-bit variable, which supports a maximum LBA of 2.2 TB, then it will interpret the value as 800 GB ( 3 TB - 2.2 TB = 800 GB) like you are seeing.

Although newer controllers support drives larger than 2 TiB by supporting 64-bit LBA addressing, you still have to be careful with boot drives.  On BIOS-based systems, Windows only supports booting from < 2 TiB drives; it only supports > 2 TiB boot drives on UEFI-based systems.  Linux, on the other hand, is capable of booting from larger drives on BIOS-based systems when using the grub2 or syslinux bootloaders.  To boot Windows with one of the newer controllers, you should ensure the logical drive used for booting is < 2 TiB.