Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Array controller on DL380G2

Andy2005
Occasional Advisor

Smart Array controller on DL380G2

Hi,
we have several DL380G2 servers running W2K. Lately i rebooted two of them and afterwards the disks aren't recognized anymore. Even the Smart Array controller initializing status isn't showing up in the boot process. I updated the bios to the latest version but no success. The smart array ctl seems to have disappeared. The last thing i did in windows was updating some critical patches.
I start to panic a little bit because two of our systems have exactly the same problem (in the same week).

Tx for any clue...
gr
Andy
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Stephen Banks
Occasional Visitor

Re: Smart Array controller on DL380G2

Hi
I know that this may seem a silly thing to ask but are all the drives at the latest firmware, as well as the controller itself?
Rafal Koszyk
Advisor

Do any of the utilities on the CD see the card?

Don't update the other servers until you figure this one out :)
Andy2005
Occasional Advisor

Tx for the replies.

In fact none of the utilies (smartstart, inspect tool, diagnostic tool ...) see the card. I'm quite sure this is a hardware problem. The only thing is within 2 weeks i have 2 servers with exactly the same problem ! I'm a little afraid to reboot the other 50's ;-)
Rafal Koszyk
Advisor

So the other 50 servers have the same versions and setup but dont have this problem?
Andy2005
Occasional Advisor

Indeed !

but rebooting one of them may result in the same problem ! You never know ...
Rafal Koszyk
Advisor

Check if other servers have rebooted since the software upgrade.
Andy2005
Occasional Advisor

The last thing i did on the servers was updating some Windows patches (i rebooted lots of them since). I can't understand why a windows patch should have impact on bios/firmware level ...
Colin_29
Trusted Contributor

If you are saying that nothing sees the card (not even in POST) then I think this must be a BIOS issue. Can you get into the BIOS and if so does anything else look strange (system date reset etc). I suspect that the settings have been lost. Is there any indication that the battery is dead? Did you power cycle the servers or just carry out a warm reboot?
Andy2005
Occasional Advisor

Very strange ... suddenly on one of the servers the array controller re-appears and works fine.
I really can't follow anymore ....