ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753678 Members
5685 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Smart Array controller -pro active battery replacment ?

George Quist
Frequent Advisor

Smart Array controller -pro active battery replacment ?

Hello all...
We have many DL380 G3 servers having Smart Array 6402 controllers amd are beginning to get cache batery failures. All of them are running current firmware/drivers ( Smart Start 7.60 rev ).. I read some place about doing these replacments after 3 years in service as a proactive task ( these servers are 2003 vintage )... IS there a document to support this ? There all on HP service contracts ( can I expect that HP will cover the parts cost at least ?
2 REPLIES 2
Marek Nelec
Honored Contributor

Re: Smart Array controller -pro active battery replacment ?

Hi
I had the same kind of problems, but it was definitely a firmware problem for me. Although HP claimed that the minimum firmware revision was 2.48 I still had the problems with firmware revision 2.5x. Now with 2.68 everything is fine.
Andrew_346
Regular Advisor

Re: Smart Array controller -pro active battery replacment ?

There was a problem with the firmware a while back where it wasn't charging the batteries efficiently. 2.68 (which is included in SS 7.60) is the latest and has the fix for this problem. I believe 2.52 did as well.

Anyhow, reflash your controllers with 2.68 and see if it doesn't go away. You will have to force the flash because the CarePaq will tell you it is already at that level.

If that doesn't fix it, call Support and have the hardware replaced under warranty (if you still have a valid contract). Usually it's just the battery module on the BBWC that needs to be replaced. Sometimes it's the onboard battery and the whole card needs to be replaced.