4765 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smart Array firmware update - how?

Andrew Horne
Frequent Advisor

Smart Array firmware update - how?

Hi,

I have two DL360 G3s that I am just preparing prior to them being installed. usually I get the latest Bios update and the latest firmware for the array controller from the HP website.

I have got and installed the Bios to the latest rev, but I can't find any reference to the on board 5i array controller or how to update it. I have found in these forums that the Smart Start CD is needed.

I have Smart Start 700 and have looked under the maintenance tab for something similar to 'update rom/firmware', but I can't see it. I also understand that I may need to download the latest update file, I can't find anything that refers to the 5i.

I have also seen that the updates might also be only available on a 'firmware updates' cd which has a cost. I don't think much of that if it is true!

I have, as usual, used the 'software and drivers' page to locate the firmware, on board items like the 5i array controller used to be listed but are no longer.

Can someone explain what has hapened or what I need to do to get a floppy disk with the latest firmware for an array controller, it can't be this hard surely!

Thanks,

Andy..
15 REPLIES 15
clay bowman
Frequent Advisor

Here's the link to the online firmware for the 5i controller. http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/20143.html
Andrew Horne
Frequent Advisor

Hi Clay,

The online flash component won't help as there is no OS yet installed.

The OS, when it will be installed, will be Netware, which the online flash component doesn't support.

Something along the lines of a simple bootable floppy disk is what I would prefer, it has always worked, isn't overly complicated and was virtually free!

I am prepared to use the Smart Start CD but I don't see how.

Thanks,

Andy..
Mike Bollman_1
Respected Contributor

Since you do not have an OS installed you will need the offline ROM flash. Here is the link:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/20142.html

just download it and extract to a floppy then boot the server off the floppy to upgrade the firmware.
Andrew Horne
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

I think I may have found the latest offline flash smart component for the 5i controller.

I did a Google search for '"smart array" firmware'. One of the links was to a 'Windows 2000' download page which further lead to the component.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locoscat/20_55.html

I just need to use the Smart Start CD and try and find this update utility.

Thanks,

Andy..
Andrew Horne
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Michael,

I just stumbled on to that page.

Cheers,

Andy..
Andrew Horne
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Tried again, Smart Start 7.00 has no option for upgrading Roms, the web site needs to be updated to specify that. Fortunately I have previous Smart Start CDs and 6.10 came to the rescue.

Unfortunately when it read the 'supplementary disk', the floppy with the file CP004425.SCEXE on it, I got the error message -
unable to read rom update from file cp004425.scexe

I tried downloading the file again and copied to a different floppy and also saved directly to a floppy to rule out floppy disk problems.

I tried the same Smart Start process again on the DL360G3 and on a DL360 G2 with the same result every time.

What have I missed, what am I doing wrong?

There is no option to boot from a floppy with this file, the instructions are to use the Smart Start CD.

Thanks,

Andy..
Mike Bollman_1
Respected Contributor

Andy,
after you download the offline rom file you must run it. You will then be prompted to insert a floppy disk and it will extract the rom image to the floppy.
Andrew Horne
Frequent Advisor

Hi Michael,

The first time I downloaded the file I tried running it as I hadn't read the documentation properly. I had to rename it first, changed from *.scexe to *.exe.

When I tried running it, I got a 'program too big to fit in memory' error, that was on two different machines.

The documentation says nothing about running the file to extract it, what the documentation says is -

"Download this file and save it to a blank diskette. Make sure to keep the original file name.
In some cases you will see have two files to download, because the original file was too large to fit on one diskette. If so, save each file to a separate, blank diskette. Again, make sure to keep the original file names.
Boot the server from a CD that contains the ROM Update Utility (such as SmartStart version 6.0 or later.)
Select the "Maintenance" tab on the main SmartStart screen, and launch the ROM Update Utility.
Follow the instructions found under the "Supplemental Disk" tab to install the update from the diskette. "

I have followed the above instructions to the letter and received the error as stated in my previous message.

Thanks,

Andy..

Mike Bollman_1
Respected Contributor

oops...forgot they changed the process on us. Ok, boot off your smartstart cd.
go to the maintenance tab, then launch the rom update utility. Insert your floppy with the original downloaded file (cp004425.scexe) make certain that it does not have any other extension as when I just downloaded it i.e. added .txt to the end. go to the supplemental disk tab and click use disk. It will scan your floppy. then you go back to the updates tab and it will appear there.

Why they had to "improve" this process I do not know. The old way was 1000% easier/faster.

anyway. give that a shot.