5386 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smart Array p408i-a Raid 6 adg replacement HP DL380 Gen10

bjmakond
Occasional Visitor

Smart Array p408i-a Raid 6 adg replacement HP DL380 Gen10

Hi Guys,

I have HP DL380 Gen10 Server. There are 2 HDD that are showing continous amber LED light and i believe according to my research these drives have failed. I have since bought the 2 HDDs and replaced then. The problem is the HDD just light up its led lights when you switch on the machinebut after it boots, i believe it should start copying data from the other drives. The drives' LED lights are off and no activity at all. in diagnostics it still shows that drives on those bays failed. please assist.

Thanks!

Brian

4 REPLIES 4
BPSingh
HPE Pro

Greetings!

How many drives in total are installed in the server and how many logical drives configured?

Are the failed drives part of the same logical drive?

I understand that the drives still show as failed in diagnostics even after they are replaced. We need to check the Array Diagnostics report to look at the storage sub-system health.

I would advise you to log a support ticket so that the logs can be checked and further action can be advised..

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@bjmakond wrote:

Hi Guys,

I have HP DL380 Gen10 Server. There are 2 HDD that are showing continous amber LED light and i believe according to my research these drives have failed. I have since bought the 2 HDDs and replaced then. The problem is the HDD just light up its led lights when you switch on the machinebut after it boots, i believe it should start copying data from the other drives. The drives' LED lights are off and no activity at all. in diagnostics it still shows that drives on those bays failed. please assist.

Thanks!

Brian

With RAID 6 ADG you can have two drives faill before you lose data. It is suggested you make sure to have a valid backup of your data.  

If the system did not automatically start to rebuild when the replacement drive was installed, my first thought would be the replacement drive isn't the same size or larger as the failed drive.  Even if it is listed as the same capacity, there is a chance that the drive capacity is reduced especially if the replacement is not an HPE branded drive.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
bjmakond
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. there are 8 drives on the server that are under 1 logical drive. these failed drives are part of the logical drive.

bjmakond
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

The drives are HP branded and are from HP, acquired using the correct part number.