1752781 Members
6391 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Smart Start CD. How do I update it ?

Tony Dodd
Occasional Contributor

Smart Start CD. How do I update it ?

I have begged, borrowed and stole loads of various DL380's (both G2 and G3) all with different levels of firmware. Add to this a plethora of different disk model numbers, also with different firmware.

Having checked for the latest firmeware versions I now have 7 Diskettes to use in conjunction with my Smartstart CD V6.40.

Is there a way I can re-cut this CD an add all these additional firmeware update to it ? If so, is there someone who would be able to point me in the right direction ?

4 REPLIES 4
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Re: Smart Start CD. How do I update it ?

Hello Tony,
Wait for Smart Start Version 7.0 due to be released mid December. That should have most of the updates if not all.

Regards,
Tony Dodd
Occasional Contributor

Not good timing for me.

I have a load of O/S techies demanding fully up to date firmware on these servers by the end of the week.

I was looking for something quick, maybe dirty so that I could get home before midnight this week.
Janine Bertolo
Honored Contributor

Hi Tony;

As Sunil mentioned, each subsequent version of SmartStart includes the available firmware updates at the time of burning.

If you browse the cd, you will see that the actual images are located in the compaq/rom_update/components directory.

If I were going to burn a cd, I'd start by putting the new images in there.

This would only work, in theory, with the offline images that have a .scexe extension (I haven't seen any such image for hard drives, have you?)

I haven't tried it, don't know if it will work, can't see why it wouldn't....

Just a thought,

Janine
To get results you've never had before, try something you've never tried before.
Tony Dodd
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for this
1/4 of the way through the servers at the moment.

Disks are a nightmare as some models do not get recognised by the Smartstart CD until you have used the update diskette. And you dont know what disk you have without physically pulling them out and looking at them.

I will have a go at adding the .scexe files to the directory and see if this works.

CP004218.scexe is an example of disk firmware upgrade to HPB6. http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/storage/us/download/19645.html