1753642 Members
5143 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smart Start Compaq 3000

Scott_108
Occasional Contributor

Smart Start Compaq 3000

I have a Compaq Prolient 3000 I am trying to load with the Smart Start 5.4 software. When it asks for the server profile disk the first time it works great. Then when it prompts for it again the profile disk will not work. It erases all info off the disk. I have tried to keep making copies of the disk on every step. It seems to work for the 2nd time that I am prompted but does not work for the 3rd time. What am I doing wrong here??
Fire it Up!!
4 REPLIES 4
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

Hi Scott,
During an Assisted Install with Smart Start it usually only asks for the Server Profile Diskette once and then you leave it in until it asks for the NT4/Win2000 cd.
This sounds strange.
Feel free to e-mail me at Mark.Cloutier@HP.com.
I can then give you a call, if you wish.

Mark
We are here for a good time, not a long time!
Scott_108
Occasional Contributor

I tried leaving it in taking it out everything I coould think of then I found this on the the Compaq site

Performing an Assisted Installation using Compaq SmartStart for Servers Release 5.0 corrupts the Server Profile Disk (SPD) on Compaq ProLiant 3000 and on Compaq ProLiant 5500 servers configured with more than 1-GB of system memory.

So now I am useing an older verison of Smart Start. 4.8 I will see how that goes and let you know.
Thanks
Fire it Up!!
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

Any chance you have an older Smartstart? Awhile ago we were rebuilding OLD Proliant 800's (Pentium pro's) for a bank using a newer smartstart - we also had problems w/ the floppy. Made new profile disks, replaced the floppy drive, nothing. Switched to Smartstart 4.30 (I think that was the one), and everything worked without a hitch.

It was a pain in the behind, but once we got it, all we had to do was update the servers with the latest CSD (now called Proliant Support Pack).
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

Sometime we ask customer's to drop the RAM down the 640MB or around there until the OS is installed.
Keep me posted.

Mark
We are here for a good time, not a long time!