1753863 Members
7626 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smart Start install fails

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Smart Start install fails

The installation of Netware 5 using SmartStart fails at the start of the *ignore* proper installation at the driver selection stage with the following error:
The following driver instance failed to load and will will be deleted
I:\nwupdate\cpqarray.ham slot = 7'
The server has a Smart 2/I array controller and this is configured for raid 7
8 REPLIES 8
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

What version of SmartStart are you using ?
Which Array Controller arre you actually using ?
Was the System ROM upgraded before the install ?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

My apologies for the delay in coming back to you - |I have been on leave. In answer to your questions:
I am using Smart Start version 4.7
The Raid controller is a Smart-2/P revision A 4.44
The system BIOS is version E12 dated 1996
I have applied a rompaq to the Array controller but not to the system. Your suggestions and observations would be appreciated
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Upgrade to SmartStart V4.90 .

Raid 7 ???
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I am having precisely the same problem. I have added drives and am reinstalling. I used the smartstart CD (4.60) to configure the array and build a compaq partition, but have tried a manual install of Netware 5.1. The install always fails loading storage drivers, with the same error as in the original message. (cpqarray cannot load). I am installing on a Proliant 1500 (E12) with the latest ROMPaq, and have a Smart2 array controller as in the original message. It has also received the latest options ROMPaq. I would not have assumed the latest SmartStart version would make a difference at this point in the install... why would I be wrong in this assumption?, and what other resolution might I try?

thank you
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

tried Smartstart 5.0, still fails. tried a manual install. get to install of netware 5.1, and still cannot load cpqarray.nlm, therefore cannot load storage device and will not continue install.

found a customer alert regarding failure to load cpqarray, but the recommend workaround is to manually add the load lines in the startup.ncf. cannot do that until the install makes it a little further along.

i'm still flustered by the error, and would appreciate any suggestions.

thank you
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I am also having this exact same error. Did anyone manage to resolve this. I have tried several versions of the Smart start including 5.10. I have not been able to find any compaq support doc's on this issue. I have only managed to find 1 Novell TID 10051525 which suggests to install NetWare 4.11 first and then perform an in place upgrade.

Any help would be gretly appreciated.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

my final resolution was replacing the controller. I spent a couple hours on the phone with Compaq and could not resolve it. I replaced it with an alder smart2 controller sitting in a nearby retired 1500. No problems then. I would assume it has to do with a specific model or models of the controller.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I tried an older controller, made no difference. Just about to give up when I found this Novell TID 2945462. It says not to load CPQMPK.PSM (Compaq's Multi Processor Driver) or set the BIOS to "IntranetWare 4.11 + SMP". Tried the Smart start again and told the NetWare 5.1 install not to load CPQMPK.PSM and guess what.... it found the Raid card and loaded the driver without a problem. Can't find any reference to this on Compaq's site and can't find an updated version of CPQMPK.PSM. After I installed the server, I ran the latest NSSD on the box to update the file and then added multi processor support through NWCONFIG. Rebooted the server and it hung. Removed CPQMPK.PSM from Startup.ncf and back to life th server came. So at this stage I have the server working with the original RAID controller but NO multi processor support.