4554 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Smart Storage Administrator Stuck at "Loading"

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@bimmerdriver wrote:

The user guide for SSA references G6 controllers, presumably that's the B110i. It just doesn't mention Windows Server 2019.

I would assume the users guide is referencing the standard hardware based 'P' series Smart Array controllers. Like I said, it's just been to long since I've messed with hardware that old. Maybe someone else will chime in. Please keep in mind the B110i is a chipset SATA controller and the RAID function is actually in the driver and not the controller itself. It is a software based RAID configuration whereas the 'P' series Smart Array controllers are hardware based RAID controllers.  I think the B110i was the first of the chipset SATA controllers that worked with ORCA and ACU. Server 2019 isn't supported on that system, and the driver you are loading is for an older version of Windows so it may or may not work with Server 2019

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
bimmerdriver
Frequent Advisor

Here is an excerpt from the README:

Supported Controllers
---------------------
  Dynamic Smart Array B110i SATA RAID

Here is an excerpt from the release notes for the previous version (Version:3.30.14.0(A) (27 Nov 2018)):

Added support for Microsoft Windows Server 2019

The User Guide also references G6 controllers. Does that correspond to the system being a G6?

The RAID controller is supported. Windows Server 2019 is supported. Either I'm missing something or this should be working.

HP ProLiant ML150 G6 Intel® Xeon® E5504
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@bimmerdriver wrote:

Here is an excerpt from the README:

Supported Controllers
---------------------
  Dynamic Smart Array B110i SATA RAID

Here is an excerpt from the release notes for the previous version (Version:3.30.14.0(A) (27 Nov 2018)):

Added support for Microsoft Windows Server 2019

The User Guide also references G6 controllers. Does that correspond to the system being a G6?

The RAID controller is supported. Windows Server 2019 is supported. Either I'm missing something or this should be working.

Yes, SSA supports Windows Server 2019.  It also appears that SSA may still supports older G6 era Smart Array controllers
Windows Server 2019 is not a supported operating system for the ML150 G6 server.
There is not a Server 2019 driver available for the B110i controller. There is a version of the B110i driver available for Server 2012 and 2012R2 which means there was another server that used the B110i and also supported Server 2012 and 2012R2.  So even though either Server 2012 or 2012 R2 are not listed as supported on the ML150 G6, it should work, but again they were never supported. 

The ML150 G6 was retired in 2012, general support is normally offered for an additional 5 years after a server is retired. Later version of OS's are generally not tested or supported after a server is released. The last version of Windows server shown as supported in the support matrix on this server model was Server 2008 R2

HPE Servers Support & Certification Matrices
http://h17007.www1.hpe.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/supportmatrix/windows.aspx#.XRwud-hKiF4

bimmerdriver
Frequent Advisor

Thank you for your reply. Understood that HP never supported Windows Server 2019 on this hardware. However, according to the release notes, SSA is supported on Windows Server 2019 and it supports this raid controller. The release notes don't say SSA only supports this raid controller on a specific version of Windows Server, so if SSA supports this raid controller on Windows Server 2019, it would have to be using the most recent driver, which is the one I have installed. It may be that I broke the system by installing an earlier version of SSA before I moved to the most recent version. I'll report back if that makes any difference.

HP ProLiant ML150 G6 Intel® Xeon® E5504
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Sorry I can't make it any clearer, you are answering your own question "Understood that HP never supported Windows Server 2019 on this hardware. "  SSA supports a number of controllers and operating systems, that doesn't mean it supports every combination. 

IvH
Occasional Advisor

Had same issue w SPP 2019.03 install.

Changed default browser from Chrome to IE   -  Solved my problem   (Stuck at "Loading ...")

IvH
BananaJack
Occasional Advisor

This thread came up when I searched Google for hpe smart storage administrator freezes

I installed a Smart Array P410i in an ML110 G7 running Windows Server 2008 R2 and then installed Smart Storage Administrator 2.65.7.0 but it froze every time I tried to load it. The old HP Array Configuration Utility 9.10.22.0 ran fine.

The solution was to disable the (now unused) on-board B110i in the RBSU and this allowed the SSA to load fine. I guess SSA doesn't support B110i.

Nico57
Advisor

Disabling the on-board B110i also worked for me, thanks for mentionning this !

DL180 G6 with a Smart Array E200, running Windows Server 2019 and SSA 5.30.6.0