New Discussion

Re: Smart Storage Administrator and Hyper-V 2012 R2 Core

SOLVED
Go to solution
JohnFFM
Occasional Visitor

this doenst help hm..

i have noticed that as soon as i klick on Storage Manager Link in the System Managment Homepage and the new Popup appears, the HP Smart Storage Administrator Service on the Hyper V Server Stops. I can restart the service and as soon as i click on the Link again the service goes offline.

Eventlog Application Error:

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: hpssaresponder.exe, Version: 0.0.0.0, Zeitstempel: 0x52a15c09

Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: hpssaresponder.exe, Version: 0.0.0.0, Zeitstempel: 0x52a15c09

Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005

Fehleroffset: 0x000000000000b80e

ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x8f4

Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01cf3ebe51b8e704

Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Program Files\HP\hpssa\bin\hpssaresponder.exe

Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\Program Files\HP\hpssa\bin\hpssaresponder.exe

Berichtskennung: a8e3091e-aab1-11e3-8127-78e7d1df93e6

Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets:

Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist:

Simpat
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

I have the same problem here. I have no luck with make HP Smart Storage Administrator work on my Hyper-V 2012 R2 Core. I have to use command line instead. This is some of my favorites cli command.

"C:\Program Files\hp\hpssacli\bin\hpssacli.exe"

ctrl slot=0 show config
ctrl slot=0 array A create type=ld raid=1

|------------- ( ^__^ )--------------|
I'm Happy when You're Happy
i3laze
Frequent Visitor

Same problem. Although installing IE11 on Hyper-V is not an option :)

Copying oledlg.dll (c:\Windows\system32) from fully installed Server 2012 R2 made hpssaprefs.exe work (the app that enables remote access to http://IP:2381)

Kraki
Frequent Visitor

Hi all,

the same procedure is working with Server 2016 hyper-v, some paths of the SSA are different, but in general it is the same.

Have to use firefox to get it work at all, IE 11 did not work for me.

bkesting1
Advisor

How exactly did you get SSA to work in Hyper-V 2016? 

bkesting1
Advisor

@Kraki wrote:

Hi all,

the same procedure is working with Server 2016 hyper-v, some paths of the SSA are different, but in general it is the same.

Have to use firefox to get it work at all, IE 11 did not work for me.

Can you please share how you got SSA to work with Hyper-V 2016?

Arcam

I know this is an old thread but having just gone through the pain on HyperV 2016 Core I thought it would be good to give a step by step install procedure on how to get the full RAID GUI working on a new 2016 Core or HyperV Core server, as an aside I don't understand why HP have not documented this, I even raised a support call which failed to get it sorted.

1) Copy all the install files across to the server you want it working from in a suitable location like C:\Temp.

2) Install HP Systems Manager by going to the command prompt via a console session and running the .exe file, the current file name as at today's date (13 Sep 2018) is cp034022.exe (v7.6.3), during the install you will be prompted for various security options, so set these as you see fit.

3) Install the HP WBEM component next using the same command line process, current file name is cp033066.exe, this will get the HP SM talking to the server hardware.

4) Install HP Smart Storage Administrator, current file name is cp029559.exe.

5) Find a working 2016 “full fat” server and copy the file oledlg.dll from the System32 folder then put that file in the same location on the Core server (it is missing by design and default).

6) On the Core / HyperV server console session navigate to Program Files\Smart Storage Administrator\ssa\bin and run ssaprefs.exe, this will open up a GUI box, select "Enable for System Management Homepage Integation" (by default it is set to disabled) then exit.

7) Open up IE11 or FireFox and type https://YOURSERVERNAME:2381 accept the SSL error (I added exception later), logon with an Admin account and you will now find “Smart Storage Administrator” under the Storage tab on the home page which will then bring up the full RAID GUI client that we all know and love.

Cheers

Eddie

UnicefTacro
Occasional Advisor

Many thanks for this tip, however, I have been struggling with this as both from Windows Server 2016 GUI and Core, the ssaprefs.exe dialog only gives me the languages option and not the SSA/SMH integration?!

bbrunning
Occasional Visitor

SMH doesn't sounds like it's not enabled or running.

Try running C:\Program files\Hp\hpssa\bin\hpssa.exe -install and hpssa.exe -start

Then re-run the ssaprefs.exe file

UnicefTacro
Occasional Advisor

Thank you BBrunning, you made my month, running the ssa install and start commands BEFORE running SSAPrefs did the trick. Worked first time on WS GUI and for WS Core machines the .dll workaround mentioned elsewhere needs also to be done.

I hope somebody saves this for the future, because I could NOT find this on the HPE SSA Documentation and the HPE Corporate guys ALSO don't know about it (I say this because we opened a ticket with them and they just dont know/dont care).