Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart array 410i lockup code 0x12.

Highlighted
Malcolm Watts
Frequent Advisor

Smart array 410i lockup code 0x12.

I have a DL380 G6 with a smart array 410i with 512Mb cache and battery backup, this server for some reason crashes on a "hardware malfunction, system halted", this happened after installing a Adaptec 29320lpe, the card was removed and only the O/S was reinstalled, sp'd and sus updated, the same thing happens.
A driver was obtained from HP as the system can be started in safe mode.
we went through the process of removing all updates and rebooting with standard SP2 installed, same result.
any one with any solutions?
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: Smart array 410i lockup code 0x12.

Try removing the cache memory from the 410i and see if it helps. If not you can not replace the 410i, you have to get a new system board.
Highlighted
Malcolm Watts
Frequent Advisor

Ih removed the cache memory and its battery backup to make sure there is nothing still being held.
Am now doing a system erase and full reload to see if the same thing happens.
Highlighted
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

Hmmmm. malcom

i have seen dead pci cards cause this
first reseat all cables then proceed

this scisi controller is on board

you should see it in bios on boot try f9 bios do you see it in bios boot options ,

if not is sounds suspect

you can disconnect all drives and pci cards and see is it seen now if so add cards back one at a time then drives in that order

try clear nvram its the maintenance switch 6 it is on the cover anyway the one you remove
start up put switch back

remove hdd backplane disconnect allcables if any update firmware wih cd 8.6 and then take optional firmware
for controller

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3884083&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3884082&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1005#29214

it is listed as such below
Firmware CD Supplemental Update / Online ROM Flash Component for Linux - Smart Array P212, P410, P410i, P411, and P712m (multi-part download) 2.50
18 Sep 200

NB when doing updates ensure battery is removed at all times just that it is something i noticed that helps

IF none of the above works replace board as it is next logical step....

This is how we thank in the forum

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

good luck :)
Highlighted
Malcolm Watts
Frequent Advisor

After having the system board replaced and reinstalling the O/S, and applying the windows updates, the same thing happens again.
It has been narrowed down to a windows update KB936357, this installs a microcode for Intel processors, as our DL380 G6 has a Xeon X5550 it causes the above problem.
After going in to the O/S in safe mode, we can run the spuninst from the directory $NtUninstallKB936357$\spuninstall, but how to modify the microcode on the processor itself?
any ideas before the systems are returned for some G5's that work.
Highlighted
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

have you done the above re firmwares ??

As i have sorted many of these...
Highlighted
Malcolm Watts
Frequent Advisor

After much splatting of the server, putting the PSP firmware to lower then 8.6 maintenance cd and applying patch supplied from HP (http://tinyurl.com/ykmjhtg) the system was able to be reinstalled.

The issue was found to be MS patch KB936357, this does a microcode install for Intel chips, thus if you splat and reload a box the issue is still there until you sort out the microcode, hence the patch from HP.

So if you have/or will be installing DL380 G6's, make sure you have the KB936357 patch not authorized from WSUS.

As we had this previously authorized, it installed with the rest of the patches when the server was built.

Thanks to all the responded with suggestions.
Highlighted
Malcolm Watts
Frequent Advisor

Do not install MS patch KB936357 on DL380 G6's, you will get the system halt error.

Alas the server ran for a number of hours before doing the same thing, so it looks like another system board replacement is required.
Highlighted
benda74
Occasional Visitor

Funny situation you describe - and we have a server that has just started doing the same thing.

We have booted into Safe Mode and removed the MS patch and also changed the firmware on the Array controller but no change.

Seeing we can get into Safe Mode we are going to look at the start up devices / services in case that is causing the issue.
Malcolm Watts
Frequent Advisor

We eventually found that is was Kaspersky Anti Virus ver6 that was causing the problem.
uninstall kav6 and install the new enterprise
kav, i think it is version 8.
this sorted out our problems not the ms patch for the Intel processor micro code update as was previously thought.
Hope this helps.