Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart array 420i sector per track

asus77x
Visitor

Smart array 420i sector per track

Hi

I have DL380 G8 and array configured with sector per track option "32". Is it possible to modify it to 63 without rebuild/loosing data?

thanks

3 REPLIES
waaronb
Respected Contributor

Re: Smart array 420i sector per track

I think that's only an option during logical drive creation... I suspect that changing it on the fly without losing data would be pretty hard to do.

Have you considered whether setting it to 63 is a good idea? I found this explanation from HP about it:

"This option specifies the number of sectors that are to comprise each track. Logical drive performance is likely to decrease when 63 is specified. This setting applies if older operating systems such as Windows NT 4.0 are installed and if the boot partition is greater than 4 GB. Most modern operating systems handle greater than 4 GB boot partitions and no longer require this setting. Please check the Operating System documentation for further information."
asus77x
Visitor

i guess also it should be using 63. but the point is why, what the reason?

waaronb
Respected Contributor

Older operating systems using LBA could only address so many addresses.  By roughly doubling the apparent sector/track count from 32 to 63 you could give those older OS's the ability to see a drive twice the old limit.

But really, unless you're running a much older operating system and/or server, you won't need to do that.

I hope you're not running Windows NT 4.0 on a DL380 Gen8. :)

This goes back to the old limit on NT 4.0 of something like an 8GB system partition (4GB with 32 sectors/track I guess).

Something like that.  It's been so long since we've had to worry about CHS or old LBA limits, I've forgotten about all that messiness.