New Discussion юеВ

Re: [ Smart array controller ] E200i - firmware update

SOLVED
Go to solution
MelvinN
Occasional Advisor

[ Smart array controller ] E200i - firmware update

Hi,

I recently bought a new battery for the E200i, but after replacing the old battery the server still gives the message: "battery error, replace battery".

I want to update the firmware to see if this helps... can you help me with this? Which firmware do I need and how do can i update the firmware?

This can't be done from Windows, i guess? Do i need a floppy, or can it be done from USB?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Melvin
12 REPLIES 12
Rancher
Honored Contributor
Solution

We almost always have to reflash the controller card after installing a new battery to get it to recharge. Go here http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html

Enter your system type and at the next screen your OS. It will take you to a page with all of the software and firmware applicable. You should just be able to download the firmware to the server desktop and run it from there. It will require a reboot.
MelvinN
Occasional Advisor

Thanks!!

Didn't know it was that easy. I will perform the update tonight.

Do I have to reconfigure the array controller, or does it keep its configuration?

Is there a possibilty that Win2k3 server has problems with the new firmware? After all, it is Windows...

Rancher
Honored Contributor

I know what you mean, it is Windows! We have not had much trouble with this as l;ong as the executable is copied to the server desktop. Over the wire can be a little different story. You will not have to reconfigure anything.
MelvinN
Occasional Advisor

Okay! I'm going to perform the update tonight. The files are on the desktop of the server... now i just have to wait till the users log off so i can update and reboot...

Thanks man.
Rancher
Honored Contributor

I hope it goes well for you!
MelvinN
Occasional Advisor

Update was successfull, but still the following error: "Failed, Replace Battery 1".

Is it because the battery isn't charged?

Rancher
Honored Contributor

After doing the firmware update, the battery should have started to charge. At this point, I am guessing you have a defective battery. It doesn't happen often, but we have had a few.
MelvinN
Occasional Advisor

So my new battery could be broken? Darn. Can i try something else? View an specific error message somewhere?

I will wait for 24H.
Rancher
Honored Contributor

You can check the event logs but they usually say the same thing that Insight does and don't give any more specifics. You can also run Insight Online Diagnostics to see if it verifies battery 1 as failed. Do you have two batteries on the controller card? They only other thing you can is swap them, and then see if the battery 2 shows as failed. If it still says battery 1, then your controller card is probably bad.