108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Smart carrier compatibility

SOLVED
Go to solution
crouzy
Occasional Collector

Smart carrier compatibility

I already own a few DL380 and consider buying a DL385 Gen 10+ v2. I read in the specs that only BC drives are offered for this server.

Hence my question: can I use or downgrade SC drives that I already own on a DL385 Gen 10+ v2. (I get that obviously I will loose the smart functions) ?

To be more specific I would like to use HPE 7.68TB SATA 6G Very Read Optimized SFF SC 5210 SSD P23493-B21 on the new server.

5 REPLIES 5
Anu_K
HPE Pro

Re: Smart carrier compatibility

Hello,

I did not find any written documentation on this kind of setup however I tried to check if the drive part number is listed under supported drives list for DL385 Gen10 Plus V2 server(https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00112969en_us&page=GUID-913056B3-0763-4072-B862-891FE985A1F7.html) but looks like its not there. You can refer to the following HPE hard disk drives quickspecs to get more details on this (Link: https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getpdf.aspx/a00001287enw.pdf)

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

crouzy
Occasional Collector

Many thanks to your answer ! As I read from your link the BC (basic carrier) version of our drives is supported on the DL385 Gen10+ v2 and not the SC version.

I can therefore narrow down my question: are there downgrade carrier kits for 7.68 TB SATA VRO SFF SC 5210 SSD (that I currently own) in order to obtain 7.68 TB SATA VRO SFF BC 5210 SSD (that I would like to use in a new DL385 Gen10+ v2) ?

KevinSpringPM
HPE Pro
Solution

No, there are not.

I'm an HPE Product Manager

Accept or Kudo

HUNBubba

Hi,

Could you finally managed to use the old SC drives in the new BC slots?
I have the same problem and planning to get only BC carrier from used market and swap on the drive.

Did you test this way?
Thanks!

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @HUNBubba

Thank you for posting! Since you have posted in an old topic and there is no response yet, I would recommend you to create a new topic using the create "New Discussion" button, so the experts can check and assist you further. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo