108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SmartArray 5i RAID change 1 to 5

SOLVED
Go to solution
Andreas Hilboll
Occasional Contributor

SmartArray 5i RAID change 1 to 5

I have a DL380G3 with a SmartArray5i controller. At present, there are 2 36G disks configured in a RAID1 on the controller. Is it possible to add one additional drive and have the controller reorganize the RAID into a RAID5 without data loss?
Thanks,
Andreas
2 REPLIES 2
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: SmartArray 5i RAID change 1 to 5

Hi,

It is possible to do so.
We need to use the option Migration to do so.
Please refer to the user guide doccumented in the following site.
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/software-management/acumatrix/index.html

Regards,
Prashant S.

Nothing is impossible
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Re: SmartArray 5i RAID change 1 to 5

Hi Andreas,

I know you have got the right document but a couple of points that I would like to mention just out of experience:
1. Please make sure that before you try migration, you have upgraded the FW of SA5i controller. While you are at it, ensure that you are running the latest FW for your system ROM as well.
2. Ensure you have a full backup of your existing RAID 1.
3. First, you need to extend your logical array to contain the additional disk i.e an array containing 2 drives now need to hold 3 drives.
4. Now perform RAID migration.
5. Be aware that migration may take a long time, some HP documentations I have seen suggest 15 minutes per gigabytes.
6. I would suggest performing RAID migration in periods of less server load, i.e. less I/O for the disk subsystem.

Hope this helps and don't forget to assign points:)

Regards,